Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

FFL LICENSE?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Spike

Default FFL LICENSE?

I am looking at starting my own shop and am wandering how i get the ffl license for buying and selling and how i go about contacting gun companys for dealer orders and pricing thanks for the help
Old 03-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FFL LICENSE?

When I got mine I went to a BATF office and got the application . When you get the license the dealers will contact you ,not all but enough to get you started.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget the state & local lisences needed as well. Insurance and all that hppy stuff is a neccessity too. As I've seen other's looking at that same route thought I offer this so as you don't get dissappointed as they did. 1st -Don't expect to get rich, it's not a big dollar busness in most cases. 2nd - having a FFL doesn't equate to being a firearms expert. I've seen many get this one wrong.
Best of luck with it!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: switchback hunter

I am looking at starting my own shop and am wandering how i get the ffl license for buying and selling and how i go about contacting gun companys for dealer orders and pricing thanks for the help
You must contact the BATFE and request their "how-to-apply" instructions. They will send you all the info AND the forms you need. As for contacting manufacturers, you can go on their web sit4es and send them e-mails asking for contact info for the wholesalers/distributors they use..... Quite simple, really. You can do it all with your li'l ol' computer...... You need to check with your state and county governments as well to find out what THEIR local licensing requirements are. At the very least, you'll need a retail business license, and some states require a state firearms dealers' license as well...New York, for example!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Per the ATF, before you can even apply now, you have to have a buisness liscense and a brick and mortar structure for conducing your business. The days of shade tree FFL holding are long gone. It'll cost you at least $100K to get rolling.

Dealer direct status is largely a bad idea for an up and coming gun shop. There are certain companies (benelli for example) that you MUST deal direct with. For everything else, go through wholesalers, you'll get MUCH better terms. Ellett Bros, Bangers, Henry's, Dixie, etc etc.

Good luck... I wouldn't want to try and make it these days..... you gotta have a very specific niche to make it small, or have a very isolated market in a place a larger store won't build and slit your throat.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Spike

thanks for the info guys what is the batfe and how do i contact
Old 03-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

A word to the wise make sure you paper work is up to date at all times. You will get checked sooner or later.
In maryland in the Baltimore area we have lost 5-8 Dealers to stupid mistakes on paper work of one kind or another . Some dealer had been in the bussness for 29 yrs or more. they got laxed in the paper work and ATFE shut them down. Also most people don't know that went you sell your own guns and have an FFL it must go through the books. When I go mine the ATFE came and made sure I had a comercial adress , that is part of our zoning laws in the county I live in. Also we have a pistol License , you would be checked for that too.Only one name goes on that license here, in the case of a partnership. Maryland is very hard on Gun Ownership.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: switchback hunter

thanks for the info guys what is the batfe and how do i contact
You cannot be serious? If you've come to the conclusion you waant a FFL and haven't done ANY homework other than ask here you might want to reconsider. Not intending to be a wise butt just saying it already sounds like you might be in over your head.