Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning A Bolt Medallion vs Thompson Center ICON

Old 03-27-2008, 10:10 AM

Default Browning A Bolt Medallion vs Thompson Center ICON

I would like to purchase a new rifle this summer. I have narrowed it down to these (2) guns. I would like to ask your opion to gun owners out there that have one of these guns and provide some feedback on how well these guns shoot. Note: I'm looking for accuracy/repeatability within 150 yards or so. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Browning A Bolt Medallion vs Thompson Center ICON

I'm a Browning man, plain and simple.
However, I have heard rumors about the icons...
They are/where sweet with the first 1,000 guns and since then, the quality of wood and the fits seemed too be lesser, as production ramped up.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Browning Pros:
[ul][*]relative light weight compared to other bolts[*]smooth bolt travel[*]shoot great out of the box[*]great factory customer service[/ul]
Cons
[ul][*]Non Fieldstrippable bolt[/ul]

Icon Pros:
[ul][*]I have to find the one person that bought one and ask them so it might be a while before I get back to you concerning accuracy.[*]Stock has attractive lines[*]If Greg Ritz says it's a shooter then it most likely is[/ul]
COns:

[ul][*]Scope mounting system limits your choices[*]Bolt has entirely too many pieces that are exposed to the elements for my likes[*]Entirely too heavy[/ul]
Old 03-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Well for a 150 yds, one of those $150 single shots would work. I have a browning abolt and like it, its not the very best shooter bout 1-1.25 moa avg. I do love to carry it, and i points nearly like a good shotgun for me.

Hell, everyone has got a abolt, be the guinnea pig and try out the icon and post the results here!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

OEH Dont forget every "pro" hunter on tv will be swearing by the T/C
Old 03-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

OEH Dont forget every "pro" hunter on tv will be swearing by the T/C

I love the commercial where Ritz is designing the perfect scope for the perfect rifle. Hopefully Nikon doesn't take any advice from him.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

My my Oldelk, seems we're not a fan of Greg Ritz. That's too funny. I thought the very same thing... little prissy, privelaged weenie. That's not a scope for me.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

My my Oldelk, seems we're not a fan of Greg Ritz. That's too funny. I thought the very same thing... little prissy, privelaged weenie. That's not a scope for me.

Throw in Scentlok, Realtree,Mossyoak and a bunch of other overhyped products into the same mix.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the great responses. I know both are considered good rifles. I also know there are pros/cons for each. I'm more concerned about accuracy/repeatablity. A few dollars spent on a good rifle is more important than anything else. I'm just trying to make the right call. The next thing to consider is a scope. Probally another discussion? Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody that has read my posts knows I prefer browning a-bolt/x-bolt over all others!

Quick Reply: Browning A Bolt Medallion vs Thompson Center ICON

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.