Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Choice for Turkeys?

Old 02-15-2003, 08:02 PM

Default Best Choice for Turkeys?

We can use rifles here for Turkeys. Which one is better out to 150 yards? .22 mag or .17 hornady? Please tell me why you chose the one you did. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Choice for Turkeys?

I have to ask ,why would you want to hunt turkeys with a rifle . To me there wouldn' t be any sport in this kind of hunting at all . There are a lot of crippled birds that get away from shotguns and I could only think it would be worse for a small rifle .
Old 02-17-2003, 04:00 PM

If a .17 can kill a fox, it can kill a turkey with proper shot placement. Same with .22 mag. People also use .223 but I hate to use that much on Turkeys. I am just tired of seeing turkeys out in a field but not being able to get them to come to me. I have killed a couple but could do much better with a rifle.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:07 PM

Thanks! We must be the only state in the country that lets you use rifles! Anyway, where do you aim on the bird? At the base of the neck?
Old 02-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

i,m with halcon on this one,shoting them with a rifle is like shooting them off the roast,just dosn' t seem sporting.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:48 PM

You don' t think it is sporting but do you deer hunt? How sporting is hunting deer with a 30-.06 or .300 win mag or whatever from a tree stand or blind or whatever? Some people shoot them across a huge field at 300 yards while hidden in a elevated camo blind. If that stuff is sporting for deer, why not turkeys? Should we only hunt deer with shotgun slugs from unrifled barrels? It would make it more sporting.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:25 PM

Hey clearanceman I agree with you I would certainly want to know the difference between shooting a turkey with a rifle or shooting a deer with the rifle. They say it doesnt seem sporting I would like to know why or why not? As long as it is legal go for it. Hey Halcon I would like to know why you think there would be more wounded turkeys with a rifle. Shot placement is critical for any North American Game species. I think a 22mg or 17cal would definetly do the job if proper shot placement is introduced.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:38 PM

Thanks! I never understood inconsistant artificial restrictions on hunting game. I understand if someone says they only bow hunt deer or turkeys or whatever, but don' t understand an attitude of anything goes for deer but not turkeys. It is easier to sneak up on deer than turkeys and they are a much bigger target and they move around less. I would say hunting deer with a rifle is less sporting than hunting turkeys with a rifle..
Old 02-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

clearenceman you miss understood me.for me any way,turkey hunting is about working them in close with a call.when i hear of someome rifle hunting them,i invision a guy sitting on a ridge top glassing the ground around him.when one is spotted he takes the shot.that to me is not turkey hunting,even though its legal in some areas. i guess a bow hunter could say the same thing about rifle hunting deer.a shotgun predator hunter could also say the same thing,but that for some reason is different to me.if i offended you i appologize ,but its just the meaning of turkey hunting to me
Old 02-18-2003, 05:25 PM

no problem! I guess it depends on what you are used to doing....

Quick Reply: Best Choice for Turkeys?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.