Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Choice for Turkeys?

Old 02-18-2003, 09:14 PM

Default RE: Best Choice for Turkeys?

I want to agree with those who like to use rifles for turkeys,whether the turkeys come closer or the deer are abigger target,you still could use a tons of calls for all games . so it should be a matter of a hunter' s apreference to choose his/her wepon of choice.Having said that,I stongly belive Safty And Careful hunting is what makes the SPORTING.

TOONS

SAFTY IS #1
Old 02-19-2003, 05:57 AM

I agree which is why many states have banned rifle hunting for turkeys. Everyone is in full camo with no blaze orange at all in turkey season. You got to be very careful even with shotguns..
Old 02-19-2003, 09:00 AM

We can use rifles here in Texas, and many of us do.

Turkey and deer season overlap. Sometimes, when I' m sitting 10ft. up in the stand, I' ll have nothing but gobblers walk by all day. The feeder goes off around 6:00am and 4:15pm. Within 10 minutes, I' m surrounded by turkey. Sometimes they' ll stay for hours, and eat up every single bit of corn they can find. I' ve counted as many as 45 at any given time. My father-in-law has seen upwards of 60-70 in one day (two feeder sessions). They are more of a nuisance than anything else. If things are slow, and turkey is all you see, we' ll take one with the deer rifle, clean it under the stand, and hop back in to wait out the day.

No one, here, hunts turkey by calling them up and using a shotgun. It' s too easy. We thin out the herd while we deer hunt. If we didn' t, the turkey population would be unbelievable, and our feeders would be ineffective.

Nothing wrong with rifles on turkey.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

No problem if it is legal. Do it.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:20 PM

Thanks all! neat to get many different perspectives.