Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.243 Win, 6mm Rem, .240 Wby?

Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 AM

Default RE: .243 Win, 6mm Rem, .240 Wby?

If you are considering varmint hunting with it the .243 is really the only viable option to me. Almost every manufacturer makes a rifle chambered for it, same goes with ammo. And there are way more choices in ammo as well from light varmint rounds to heavier big game bullets. The 6mm might look good on paper, but in real life it sure doesn't give you very many options. Especially if you don't reload.

My opinion anyway

Paul
Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Although I like the 6mm the 243 just has so many more choice.. You can get pretty close to the 6mm in the 85 BTHP from Federal balistically.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:32 PM

I would choose the 243 Winchester hands down. If you want a only varmint cartridge then I would choose a 22-250 Remington. One time I was hunting with my Ruger M77 MKII in 270 Winchester and I suffered a mechanical failure. Just so happens I brought my 243 Winchester along to hunt coyotes after my deer hunt. I brought 2 kinds of reloads with me, Hornady 75 grain v-max and Nosler 100 grain partition. The 243 Winchester saved the day.

I also went on an Antelope hunt to Wyoming and only brought my 243 Winchester with only one type reloads. The night before opening season my friends and I decided to go varmint hunting, so I used the only ammo I brought. I shot a big male coyote at 50 yards with my 243 Winchester using Nosler 100 grain partition. The owner of that sheep ranch shook my hand and said I saved him 10 lambs this spring.