Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Ultra Slug loads..

Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default H&R Ultra Slug loads..

Just got back from range...two 20g ultra slug guns.
We shot SST'S(12.99)..Barnes expander(17.99)..Winchester(19.99) and Remington slugger high velocity(4.49). Both guns shot the slugger in groups under 3in at 50yards and at 100yards just about 7in groups..5 shot groups..Has anyone else had luck with the cheapers slugs?. The advice i had got was to shot the SST's but at $13 a pop vs $4.50 for slugger. I didn't see at those ranges any benefit...Barnes we had 3 duds out of 6 boxes..not gonna use them...Thanks for your imput...Chuck
Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: H&R Ultra Slug loads..

I currently use Light Fields, but they ain't cheap either. But they cut a ragged hole at 50 yards in my gun. I was at the range this winter and went to the 200 yard range just for the fun of in. I was shooting a rifle target which is approx. 18 inches tall. I held the cross hair at the top of the target, and the Light Fields all missed the target low. I had a box of SST's and tried them, they all 5 were on the paper, probably a 12 inch group. It was also a pretty windy day. I was impressed with the SST' at that distance, but I would have to practice and get the groups in the 8 inch range before I would ,if ever ,even consider a shot at that distance. It was kinda weird, you would shoot and they wait and hear the slug hit the target.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same shotgun also in 20ga. I use the SSTs, excellent slug. Using the Remington Slugger or any type of slug like it (foster type) you will not get the same performace as you would from a sabot type slug
Old 03-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

I know i won't get the same down range with the slugger but i was impressed with the cheaper slugs for a 50yard average shot. where i will be using the gun 100 yardswould be stretching it. Plus with the sst's at 50 the slugger hands down was the winner in both guns. thanks it's nice to hear from others....the old 1100 will stay in the safe this season..[]
Old 03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

I would say to go with the SST's because they cost less than all the others except the cheapo sluggers. The SST's impressed me and that's what I'm going with. It could be handy for you to have the option of 100 yards rather than just 50. You never know, you might have the monster of a lifetime out beyond 50 yards and want to kick your own ass for not being able to shoot out to 100 yards. I know I'll be quite confident with my USHD out to 125-maybe 150. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

The biggest problem with the slugger in your USH, is that the lead slug will fill up your rifling. Just make sure you clean it out really good.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

I second the previous post!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 AM

My 12 ga shot the winchester rifled slugs really well until it fouled out, around 4 or 5 shots. I'm talking like 2 inch groups or so at 100 yards. They will work, they just make a heck of a mess is all.

The downside is they don't have the same terminal performance a regular bullet will have. The sabot loads that use a controlled expansion bullet will perform better on game, as in they do more damage. Both will kill deer, no doubt about it, but the better bullets do give you an edge. And in most cases they will extend your range as well.

It's a killer sighting them in and finding something your gun likes because of the price, but once you get there it shouldn't be too bad. One or two boxes should last a season, and maybe another box or two in the off season to practice with. Unless you plan on shooting a lot in the off season. Which will also be a pain if you go with rifled slugs because you will be cleaning your gun all the time in the field, and trust me it gets messy getting all that lead out of the barrel.

My 12 ga really liked the winchester platinums but I don't know how they perform in the 20's. I would for sure give the Hornady rounds a try though if others with the same gun have been having good luck with them. That is some pretty impressive performance for a 20 ga shotgun. Puts you up there around 45/70 type performance I think.

And you know as well I do the minute you limit yourself to 50-75 yards the buck of a lifetime will step out at 110 yards. And you will have to decide to either take a hail mary shot or let him walk. Where as with the right load in that gun it would be a give me shot, providing you could hold still enough.

My opinion anyway

Paul