Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Norma ammunition

Old 02-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Norma ammunition

Has anyone ever shot Norma Ornx bullets? Whats the quality of norma ammo compared to other brands?
Old 02-14-2003, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Norma ammunition

I have used their powder and cases, and they are of very good quality. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:52 PM

It' s been quite a few years ago, but I bought some Norma factory ammo for my .308 Norma Mag. My impression of it was - it was expensive, and it was HOT.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can find absolutely no reason whatever to buy anything other than Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, or other USA ammunition.!!!
Old 02-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can find absolutely no reason whatever to buy anything other than Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, or other USA ammunition.!!!
I hope you are saying this tongue in cheek. Norma makes some of the best stuff out there but for a premium. I' ve used their brass before and can say its much better made and requires much less trimming and culling than domestic stuff, and lasts longer to boot. If you want to shoot a cartridge that is of foreign origin, such as 6.5x55 or 8x57 and want factory loads that are loaded anywhere near the cartridge' s potential, don' t even bother looking at domestic made stuff.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Briman...I have to agree with you when it comes to european cartridges that are not loaded in this country.....However If I look around, I can find someone locally loading Nosler Ballistic Tips, Bitter roots. Swift A-Frames, Trophy bonded, Barnes Solids, Hornady Solids, .....etc.

Does Norma load bullets as good as these?...Maybe but I' ll confess I didn' t know that.....until then, I' ll stand by my post.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Rochelle - I have an 8mm Mauser that I hunted with for years with Remington ammo and I now use it as a backup gun. I looked into Norma ammo, because the loads are so much hotter for that caliber. From what I could tell the Oryx (I believe that is how it is spelled) is designed like a Partition bullet, designed to hold up while passing through bone.

I was using my mauser for whitetails, so I chose to go with the Vulcan bullet, with is designed for lungs shots (not heavy bone) on medium sized game. I must warn you that the Vulcan bullet is hard to find (at least in 8mm), and the only place I have really seen it is in the Sportman' s guide catalog.

To be honest, I have not had a chance to try the Norma ammo, as I am now hunting with a 30-06, and the mauser is just used as a spare gun.

I would say that if you do choose to use Norma ammo, place your orders well in advance of the season, as it is not always readily available.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

As a rule, Norma ammo and components are superb. They also furnish a lot of exotic ammo you can' t get anywhere else, like 6.5X54 MS, 6.5X50 Arisaka, 7.7 Jap., etc. BUT THEIR STUFF IS EXPENSIVE!!
Old 02-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Norma brass is probably the best brass out there. I mean there may be better or comparable stuff out there but it is not Winchester,Remington,Federal or Hornady lets just get that out of the way right now. Any company that goes thru the trouble of CNC machining a primer pocket makes an excellent product. The brass lasts much longer than comparable US brass and is dimensioned correctly and not sloppy one bit like most US brass is. Their loaded ammunition is expensive but so is any US manufacturers loaded premium ammo just look at the prices at the local gun store and then tell me. I have used Norma brass for my 280 as well as that from Remington and there is no comparism the only problem I see is that the Norma is 2x the price but worth every penny.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey guys....life is great....you get to spend your money your way.....and I get to spend it my way.....and the last time I shot a moose, the part of the cartridge that hit the moose was the bullet.....not the brass.

I think I' ll continue looking for really great bullets.....

Quick Reply: Norma ammunition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.