Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

257 Weatherby mag

Old 03-14-2008, 02:58 PM

Default 257 Weatherby mag

Hey Guys was at the gun shop today and some guy had bought a 257 Weatherby mag and i asked him what he was going to be hunting and he said mostley Elk and i asked him would that be enough for elk he said oh yah he said he shot a elk at 500 yards with one last year and i was just wondering if this would be a good choice for deer/moose/elk ????
Old 03-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 257 Weatherby mag

several people have great success with even a 243 on elk. . . . . however a 500 yard shot in my opinion is marginal at least even with a 30_06or 270 the 257 is an absolute screamer but still its kinetic energy is roughly the same as a 270 so shot placement is absolutely critical

Old 03-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doable not ideal IMO either. I'd mush rather have a .277cal - 270 win or 270wsm for the likes of elk. Better bullet selection forthe application.

As far this fellows claims I'd take it with a pail or 3 of salt. Everybody at gun store/range shoot 500 yards and kill 180 whitetails , though ask them to see the results and they often shut the hell up.

257 is expensive to shoot, brass is more and hard to find. Barrel life is short as well. Nice and flat but it's still a 1/4 bore and as such limitations... Dare I say WAY OVER BORED. Better hope she shoots barnes or similar bullets otherwise you run the risk of splat on above deer.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is just an assumption here, but I'd bet that the guy who told you he is shooting elk at 500 yards with a .257 wby probably wouldn't know what 500 yards looked like if you stood him on the 500 yard line of a rifle range.

With a bullet that is made right, and a shot that is made right, I have little doubt that it would do the trick. But elk are a lot tougher than deer are, and at ranges that extreme in the sort of country elk tend to inhabit.... nah... I wouldn't do it. I think there are much much much better choices, espeically for shooting elk at that kinda range.

If you are hunting in the timber and your shots are inside 150 yards or so... I doubt it matters much. The sweedes shoot the hell out of moose with those 6.5x55s. And there has been plenty of African game taken with 7x57s and .30/06s that are as large and tough as elk. I just really think there are better choices for you though.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

This is just an assumption here, but I'd bet that the guy who told you he is shooting elk at 500 yards with a .257 wby probably wouldn't know what 500 yards looked like if you stood him on the 500 yard line of a rifle range.

With a bullet that is made right, and a shot that is made right, I have little doubt that it would do the trick. But elk are a lot tougher than deer are, and at ranges that extreme in the sort of country elk tend to inhabit.... nah... I wouldn't do it. I think there are much much much better choices, espeically for shooting elk at that kinda range.

If you are hunting in the timber and your shots are inside 150 yards or so... I doubt it matters much. The sweedes shoot the hell out of moose with those 6.5x55s. And there has been plenty of African game taken with 7x57s and .30/06s that are as large and tough as elk. I just really think there are better choices for you though.
In the case of a .257 wby closer isn't necessarily better as its speed can easily eclipse the bullet design of the 1/4 bore. Hence why I said better hope your gun shoots robust bullets orther wise ...splat may happen. Seen it happen on 100 yard shots on deer with less robust bullets. ThoseI know who use them where they may even remotely get a chance at a 100 ish yard shot on gameall shoot the likes of Nosler Parts, TSX. etc. At the amount of powder, the price of brass and cost of bullets I say WHY??? None of them would ever consider the .257 for elk or moose! Tools for this job& this ain't one of them.

B/C it says weatherby or mag doesn't make it even marginal IMO..it's a deer cartridge and nothing more.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

haha, lmao! It would be flat enough and certainly capable of shooting 500yds, hardly, in fact, its not even on my cartridges to consider for elk!

I don't even want a .270 or .30-06 for elk, but would certainly use one if I had to or if I had a youngster going for elk. I'm sure any rifle can kill anything, but I like to play the odds, I think an elk is less likely to get away after being hit with a 300 or 338 mag then a .257 117gr vs. 180-250grs?

Moose, elk, I'd certainly recommend staying with a 300 mag plus, deer well the .257 would be great on deer I think, or certainly very good. But its going way too fast I think, way too much powder pushing a light bullet, in that case I'd get teh 7mm weatherby or a .240 weatherby, least safe a little barrel life, and now if youre tlaking a 7mm weatherby vs .257 wby same case, but different bullets! up to 175gr...but 160gr Id much rather have going a tad slower than a supersonic 117gr bullet.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

In the case of a .257 wby closer isn't necessarily better as its speed can easily eclipse the bullet design of the 1/4 bore. Hence why I said better hope your gun shoots robust bullets orther wise ...splat may happen. Seen it happen on 100 yard shots on deer with less robust bullets. Those I know who use them where they may even remotely get a chance at a 100 ish yard shot on game all shoot the likes of Nosler Parts, TSX. etc. At the amount of powder, the price of brass and cost of bullets I say WHY??? None of them would ever consider the .257 for elk or moose! Tools for this job & this ain't one of them.

B/C it says weatherby or mag doesn't make it even marginal IMO..it's a deer cartridge and nothing more.

Read the first sentence of the second paragraph in my first post..... The last two sentences of paragraphs two and three for that matter. I think you'll find us in agreeance.... no need in hunting for one sentence to spin.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I killed one elk with my own 257wby mag at 330 yards according to my laser rangefinder.However it was a rag horn bull that was much smaller than some of the mature bulls that I have taken.It did provide a clean kill,but I prefer to use at least .284" bullets for my elk hunting.I only used the 257wby because I took a fall with my 300wby and was not confident that the scope was still on,because I did not have the chance to shoot it before the morning hunt.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I highlighted the line b/c the wbys MV can causes it issues at short range. So some say such and such is fine as long as you limit your range, doesn't always apply...such with the 257bee. Sorry,just an FYI to the others not you specific...guess I shouldn't have quoted your entirepost. That's why I highlighted the line...nothing more
Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I highlighted the line b/c the wbys MV can causes it issues at short range. So some say such and such is fine as long as you limit your range, doesn't always apply...such with the 257bee. Sorry, just an FYI to the others not you specific...guess I shouldn't have quoted your entire post. That's why I highlighted the line...nothing more

Internet paradox.... its all good!

Quick Reply: 257 Weatherby mag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.