Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most accurate action? rifle?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Most accurate action? rifle?

I've read that the remington action is one of the best most accurate to build a rifle from. Are push feeds generally more accurate than controlled feed? If you were building a custom rifle with accuracy in mind what action would you use/start with? remington? sako? other suggestions? HS action? weatherby mark v action?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Most accurate action? rifle?

Remington or Sako for factory actions.

But for the price, you would be better of going for a Stiller or other custom action...
Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

What would this rifle be used for?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with a Browning Action myself.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like remington personally and chose it for my custom rifle. I have no reason to change so wouldn't. Main reasonwas familarity with the m700 action, had the action already, andconsideration was given toease parts/price (beingM700 is themost popular base or action to work off of).

Controlled feed are typically favored indanagerous game applications.

It boils down to personal likes more then anything else. Why build a off an action you don't like???
Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

.243 on antelope, maybe mule deer/backup, maybe varmints. but a lightweight setup for antelope.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd find a good deal on a used Remington 700 rifle. Find one that has a crappy or broken stock, bad barrel, etc... Just make sure that the action is in good condition. The gunsmith will refinish it any way so don't worry about what the blueing looks like so long as there isn't any major rust or pitting.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.montanarifleman.com/

for 65 dollars more they will even square the action and lap the lugs. all of their barrels are already laped.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I've read that the remington action is one of the best most accurate to build a rifle from. Are push feeds generally more accurate than controlled feed? If you were building a custom rifle with accuracy in mind what action would you use/start with? remington? sako? other suggestions? HS action? weatherby mark v action?
Negative! Push-feed actions are NOT more accurate than CRF actions. Probably the MOST ACCURATE actions are thos made specifically for bench-rest rifles, and many have a solid bottom to their receivers.

MY most accurate rifle is built on an FN Browning commercial Mauser action (CRF), and it doesn't even have a speed lock! But it will shoot groups like this, if I do may part!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I'd find a good deal on a used Remington 700 rifle. Find one that has a crappy or broken stock, bad barrel, etc... Just make sure that the action is in good condition. The gunsmith will refinish it any way so don't worry about what the blueing looks like so long as there isn't any major rust or pitting.
True. If you are going to need bottom metal ( trigger guard, floorplate, mag. box, spring & follower) pick up a used 700 BDL or such that already has this with it. Much cheaper than having to buy it separate later.......

Quick Reply: Most accurate action? rifle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.