Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most accurate action? rifle?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Most accurate action? rifle?

ORIGINAL: gunnermhr

Although a Remington action is a great action it is not a custom. They can be made to compete with the high end actions but they are not equal.There are many out there. Stiller, BAT, Stolle, Nesika and many others. I imagine a good trued Remmy action is going to be more accurate than most people can shoot. So ask yourself why spend $1300 on a BAT. Because you can! The custom actions are stronger and the machine work is superior. They're just palin nice! I have a trued Remmy and love it and it shoots little tiny groups at a 1000 yards, so don't take this as a slam on Remington because It's not going to be for sale as long as I'm kickin'. As far as the question as to what is the most accurate action, I have to put a vote in for BAT. They seem to be the most popular custom action listed in the bench rest competition. Guess what? Remington by far dominates any factory action being trued and used in competition. It doesn't really matter what anyone decides once you enter the the bench rest scene it is like a bottomless pit. Find a second job because you may need it. It isn't a cheap sport
Maybe for Benchrest BATs are the best. But get out in freezing weather, dirty, etc... and I bet it will lock right up on ya.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:28 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

I do,nt think its the action that makes a gun accurate is the barrel and how its mounted to the stock
Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RWK

I do,nt think its the action that makes a gun accurate is the barrel and how its mounted to the stock
The action also makes a big difference, but yes the barrel and stock fitting also play big roles. All three must be good to have an accurate rifle.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

The Question was which is the most accurate Action. Not most field reliable. I wouldn't take a BAT Actionto the field under normal hunting conditions. That would be like driving a immaculate 63 corvette in a Blizzard. It could be done but why would you want to when the old reliable 4 wheel drive is sitting there.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RWK

The guy asked which is the most accurate action. I just assumed that he meant a bolt action. The stiff ones withoutmagazine cuts, that are made specifically for building long-range target and benchrest rifles, are easier to obtain exceptional accuracy from. Of course, a good barrel is required, as is proper stock bedding. But no repeater action is going to permit the attainment of fine accuracy as well as the heavy single-shot actions that don't have a lot of steel milled off of the receivers.

(ANY kind of an action can be weatherproofed! Even a flintlock......)
Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe for Benchrest BATs are the best. But get out in freezing weather, dirty, etc... and I bet it will lock right up on ya.
Apples and oranges.

If you have a single shot black powder rifle that shoots well at long ranges but fouls badly causing jams and find yourself surrounded by Indians with repeating rifles, you'll lose your scalp every time. Likewise, you don't build a very precise 15lb benchrest competition gun to chase whitetails through a cedar swamp.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

.243 on antelope, maybe mule deer/backup, maybe varmints. but a lightweight setup for antelope.
Its for a hunting rifle.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like my Howa it is about as good as I have shot around for a bolt action.