Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most accurate action? rifle?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Most accurate action? rifle?

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I've read that the remington action is one of the best most accurate to build a rifle from. Are push feeds generally more accurate than controlled feed? If you were building a custom rifle with accuracy in mind what action would you use/start with? remington? sako? other suggestions? HS action? weatherby mark v action?
Negative! Push-feed actions are NOT more accurate than CRF actions. Probably the MOST ACCURATE actions are thos made specifically for bench-rest rifles, and many have a solid bottom to their receivers.

MY most accurate rifle is built on an FN Browning commercial Mauser action (CRF), and it doesn't even have a speed lock! But it will shoot groups like this, if I do may part!

Very nice! and its a 6mm/284, one cartridge im considering! Is it still completely a wildcat though, or is it commercially available? Does anyone load it? ie not some guy in his basement who will sell you the ammo.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are controlled feed actions generally smoother and feel nicer? The only bolt action I really have is a browning abot medellion 300 mag and at the time it felt smoother, just did wobble as much as many others, one reason I liked it, many bolts felt sloppy, why is this? not sure why a bolt has to wobble at all?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

I have 2 ruger m77, a remington Mohawk and Model 7, a Weatherby Vangaurd VGL, Handi Rifle, Encore and the Remington's are the most accurate.. Especially the Model 7 because of the sweet trigger on it..
Old 03-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anything with 3 lug bolt head
Old 03-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Remington 700 myself when building custom rifles.The actions are easy to work with,and there is a huge selection of stocks and components.In any case,I would only select an action with two or three bolt lugs that can be easily lapped.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

Remington or Sako for factory actions.

But for the price, you would be better of going for a Stiller or other custom action...
I wish I would have went the custom action way. I am having a Remington action blue printed right now. And the Smith is dragging his feet. I took it to him in October, when I ordered my Krieger barrel. Krieger said it would take three months to get the barrel, and the smith said he would have the action done before we got the barrel. We have had the barrel for two months now, and the action is still not done. I do not even know if he even started it yet. I am on my way over there shortly. Tom.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

Remington or Sako for factory actions.

But for the price, you would be better of going for a Stiller or other custom action...
I wish I would have went the custom action way. I am having a Remington action blue printed right now. And the Smith is dragging his feet. I took it to him in October, when I ordered my Krieger barrel. Krieger said it would take three months to get the barrel, and the smith said he would have the action done before we got the barrel. We have had the barrel for two months now, and the action is still not done. I do not even know if he even started it yet. I am on my way over there shortly. Tom.
Same here, I am having a .243 AI built on a 700 and I wish I would of just spent an extra $100 or so and got a Stiller. The next one I will .
Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice! and its a 6mm/284, one cartridge im considering! Is it still completely a wildcat though, or is it commercially available? Does anyone load it? ie not some guy in his basement who will sell you the ammo.
If your not going to reload then considering anything outside the norm is limiting as far as cartridge or chambering. Like wise spending a bunch of money on the custom gun itself seems pointless to me as you your stuck with what the ammo manufacturer's give you, insteadof finding optimal results for your specific gun. The 2 go hand and hand IMHO. Likewise if your looking for the next step to accuracy and custom, then reloading should be the first one to take. Turn your 300wm and anything else you may buy into the shooter you desire. Small relative inexpensive tweeks can be made to any production grade rifle coupled with reloading can find sub MOA loads, tailored to the use. Once you've got to this basis and are confident in your abilities, taking the step to building a custom rifle is a natural one to make allowing you to pick which ever platform/cartidge you desire then rolling your own mo to see its true potential.

If your going to be a factory ammo guyI'd stick with off the rack stuff, thenchoose a cartirdge that has the best options for ammo/application.

JMO
Old 03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

why a stiller, for all purposes its a trued remington that costs 200 dollars more than the average donor action rifle plus the trigger, I've thought about a stiller a couple times, but the same thing in a remington is 100 bucks less.
RR
Well, once I buy a donor action and get it trued,bolt fluted, bolt knob its not much more to buy a Stiller that will have more re-sale value if the day comes. And just for something a little different too. If I could get 700's cheaper then that would be by far the best route price wise.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Although a Remington action is a great action it is not a custom. They can be made to compete with the high end actions but they are not equal.There are many out there. Stiller, BAT, Stolle, Nesika and many others. I imagine a good trued Remmy action is going to be more accurate than most people can shoot. So ask yourself why spend $1300 on a BAT. Because you can! The custom actions are stronger and the machine work is superior. They're just palin nice! I have a trued Remmy and love it and it shoots little tiny groups at a 1000 yards, so don't take this as a slam on Remington because It's not going to be for sale as long as I'm kickin'. As far as the question as to what is the most accurate action, I have to put a vote in for BAT. They seem to be the most popular custom action listed in the bench rest competition. Guess what? Remington by far dominates any factory action being trued and used in competition. It doesn't really matter what anyone decides once you enter the the bench rest scene it is like a bottomless pit. Find a second job because you may need it. It isn't a cheap sport

Quick Reply: Most accurate action? rifle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.