Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 45-70

Old 03-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Marlin 45-70

So here is the story. I've wanted a 45-70 for a long while now. I finally pulled the trigger on getting one since Remington recently aquired Marlin. So a friend of mine that is a gun afecionado and has money to boot (quite convenient as I see it). Lets me see his Marlin .45-70.

To say that his Marlin is better than mine in every single way would be an understatment. Usually I feel that over upgrading a gun is a bad idea but this thing was so smooth and so sweet that I was compeletly beside myself. After handle his gun, mine felt like a red rider!

He's had some work done to the action. It's like butter. The trigger is completely different. The lever handle is rounded. He has a custom rail and rear sight on it and has a scout scope set up.

BTW - Not 100% sure on this but I think I really like the scout scope set up.

He lent me his rifle and I will shooting soon.

Long story short. I think I just signed up for a big bill to custom tailor my Marlin.

Any of you guys ever been in this position before? What did you do?

Tom
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Marlin 45-70

I looked over the trigger kits and wild west loop levers, and all the goodies. And decided it was too much money for me. I kept mine stock. Good news about levers, is generally they get smoother with age.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everything sounds good except the Scout Scope idea. Put a 1.5-4 accupoint on it and be done. I think a very competent gunsmith can smooth up your action..you could also shop around and find another 45/70 that is smoother and buy it .
Old 03-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did the same as bigcountry. Just didn't want to put the cash into it. It's a .444 with a fixed Leuppy 4X. It's certainly not the smoothest action or trigger pull I've even seen, but it is getting better over time. I still like it alot though.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an old 336 30/30 and a newer 1894 44 mag. The older 336 is a bit smoother, but the 44 mag is catching up the more that I shoot it. From what I hear, putting a nicer lever on these guns is one of the better bang for your buck upgrades. A hammer spur is a good upgrade too, especially if you plan to scope your levergun.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 AM
FA
Fork Horn

Stat,
If you do only the trigger up-grade, it will cost around 90.00, but worth every penny. Everyone is correct when they say, the more you use them the smoother they are and thats no lie. The scout system, especially on the 1895G, was designed for dangerous game. Normally a 2.5 scout scope along with quick release rings for easy removal of scope for a real close shot in conjuction with some sort of iron sights. Like bigcountry said, the up-grades are expensive, but the trigger up-grade is worth it. I have done the trigger using WWG triggers on most of my modern Marlins. This will take you from a factory 7lb pull down to a 2.5lb pull. It really tighens your groups up.
Goodluck
Old 03-14-2008, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have a local smith here that is very reputable. They are called D&D Gunsmiths. I called them to discuss some of the things my buddy had done and they claim they've done thousands of them just like that. There prices are also about 50% of what my buddy paid. I guess the main difference is that the place thatmy buddy sent off to only does 45/70 and 1911's.

I'm going to have the action de-horned, the trigger set down, new lever loop, feeding ramp lightenedand the stock cut to fit. It's looking to be just under $400.

Tom
Old 03-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

You decided to get a Marlin now, before Remington messes them up, or what? Was that your motivation? I hope Remington management will not become involved at Marlin! Hope, hope!!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eld,

I've wanted one for a long time. A long long time. However, yes that news prompted me to get one right away. At the very least you know the price is going to go up. There is little doubt about that.

However I think once the bean counters get their grubby little paws on that pup they'll likely down grade the components.

TT
Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Eld,

I've wanted one for a long time. A long long time. However, yes that news prompted me to get one right away. At the very least you know the price is going to go up. There is little doubt about that.

However I think once the bean counters get their grubby little paws on that pup they'll likely down grade the components.

TT
Judging by some of the absolute crud coming from Remington these days, I fear you are right!

Quick Reply: Marlin 45-70

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.