Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 45-70

Old 03-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Marlin 45-70

ORIGINAL: FA

Stat,
The scout system, especially on the 1895G, was designed for dangerous game. Normally a 2.5 scout scope along with quick release rings for easy removal of scope for a real close shot in conjuction with some sort of iron sights.

I thought the Scout system was developed by the "Colonel"?? I thought he advocated it forwhat he called faster handling capability?? I thought he developed the Scout rifle for this scope andopen sight system?? Wasn't the rifle a "Steyr Scout Rifle""?? I never heard of the dangerous game connection?? When did that happen??

You may be right about the dangerous game connection, but I never heard of the Scout system until the Colonel started advocating it.

"Especially on the 1895G"---You got me on that one?? Tom.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

thought the Scout system was developed by the "Colonel"?? I thought he advocated it forwhat he called faster handling capability?? I thought he developed the Scout rifle for this scope andopen sight system?? Wasn't the rifle a "Steyr Scout Rifle""?? I never heard of the dangerous game connection?? When did that happen??

The colonel had a brain fart when he came up with that system. If it is an improvement it sure is not popular.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:37 PM
FA
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Stat,
The scout system, especially on the 1895G, was designed for dangerous game. Normally a 2.5 scout scope along with quick release rings for easy removal of scope for a real close shot in conjuction with some sort of iron sights.

I thought the Scout system was developed by the "Colonel"?? I thought he advocated it forwhat he called faster handling capability?? I thought he developed the Scout rifle for this scope andopen sight system?? Wasn't the rifle a "Steyr Scout R out ifle""?? I never heard of the dangerous game connection?? When did that happen??

You may be right about the dangerous game connection, but I never heard of the Scout system until the Colonel started advocating it.

Sorry, I guess I stated that incorrectly. The scout system is used on the 1895G in Alaska for bear. A number of guides use this system on these rifles as a back-up. I have spent some time in Alaska and most of the guides I have hunted with and know, recommend and use this system. Some guides use the .50 Alasken with the same set up on it.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Stat,

I thought the Scout system was developed by the "Colonel"?? I thought he advocated it forwhat he called faster handling capability?? I thought he developed the Scout rifle for this scope andopen sight system?? Wasn't the rifle a "Steyr Scout R out ifle""?? I never heard of the dangerous game connection?? When did that happen??

Sorry, I guess I stated that incorrectly. The scout system is used on the 1895G in Alaska for bear. A number of guides use this system on these rifles as a back-up. I have spent some time in Alaska and most of the guides I have hunted with and know, recommend and use this system. Some guides use the .50 Alasken with the same set up on it.

That may be in part due to recoil. I have never shot one of the Marlin's in 50 Alaskan, but I have heard from a few people whose opinion I trust. They said the recoil was brutal.

I will admit I never understood the "Scout system". But I will also admit that I have never shot one. I have a couple of 1895's, and I also have a Leupold pistol scope in the safe. I may just have to put a rig together. Tom.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM
FA
Fork Horn

Tom,
The scout system was designed for getting on the target fast with both eyes open. I admit, it takes a little time to get used to it. I have the scout system on my 1895G, but I only use it for blacks and grizzly. The .50 Alaskan does have a bit of recoil, but no worse than the 45-70 using Garrett's 540gr. hammerhead ammo. On a very close shot, say at griz, you can remove the scope and use the iron sights or in my case a ghost ring. When the scope is re-installed, it will go back on dead nuts.

FA
Old 03-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tom,

I haven't fired a scout scope set up yet on the 1895 but I have handled one and I have to admit it seems to have it's merits. Not 100% sure yet as I haven't shot it.

My main gripe, (in leui of not having shot it yet) is that you have a small field of view through the scope. If they could up the FOV I think it would indeed be far superior.

I will report back when I've been to the range with the set up. Probably in the next 2-3 weeks.

Tom
Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 PM

Sorry to sound ignorant here, but what is the scout setup? Is that a scope on raised bases so you can see the rifle sights also?
Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 PM
FA
Fork Horn

A scout set up is where the scope, usually of low magnification, sets in front of the reciever on the barrel. A long eye releif scope is used, something like a pistol scope. The reciever will have some type of iron sights on it to be used if the scope needs to be removed, like a ghost ring etc. Some people like this set up and some don't.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been thinking of getting the 45-70 guide gun too. It seems to be the perfect brush gun from everything from hogs, bear, elk, moose, coyoteand deer, right? I have a 30-30, but it lacks the power of the 45-70.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:13 PM
FA
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

I have been thinking of getting the 45-70 guide gun too. It seems to be the perfect brush gun from everything from hogs, bear, elk, moose, coyoteand deer, right? I have a 30-30, but it lacks the power of the 45-70.
In my opinion, the 1895G doesn't get enough credit for being an accurate rifle. I'm comfortable with taking game from 25yds. to 200yds. with great accuracy. I have used mine for game from deer to grizzly without a failure of taking game. I use a 2.5 Leupold scout scope with Leupold QR rings along with a WWG large loop lever, aluminum magazine follower and WWG trigger. For open sights I use an XS ghost ring set-up. I use Hornady Leverevolution ammo for everything but grizzly and for them, Garrett's 540gr. Hammerheads+P. Try a guide gun, you'll like it.

Quick Reply: Marlin 45-70

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.