Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

legalized hunting SKS

Old 03-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default legalized hunting SKS

Here in Michigan you are allowed 6 rounds of ammunition in a semiautomatic firearm with a caliber greater than .22lr. I hunt deer on public land where shots are close range andlikely to berunning. So, a SKS(mine is an original Norinco)is a decent weapon of choice. (why not hunt with a little style?) being 17-yrs-old i don't have the money to buy a 5-rd mag from Tapco so I came up with the alternative. make a magazine blocker. I know many people do this to legalize their guns, so I decided to give it a try. While I was thinking of ideas I came up with the idea of using a bottle cap from a 2-liter I had awaiting target practice. The simplicity of it was astounding!

Here's what to do:

1. Make sure your firearm is unloaded.
2. Unscrew the cap from a bottle
3. Turn the cap sideways(so the ridges are on the top&bottom)
4. Insert the cap into the magazine under the loading plate

i expected to modify the cap to fit only5 cartridges in the magazine but no modification was necesary. I top-loaded 5 perfectly fine. i also manually cycled the action to make sure they all fed correctly. they did. Because it's positioned under the loading plate, the rifle can use it's original feeding components. the only downfall I saw was that after your first round is cycled, the bottletop can roll freely in the magazine because the pressure from the spring is no longer being applied to it holding it down and at the back of the mag. When hunting it might make a little noise but I doubt the deer will care after the 1st shot is fired anyway. Keeping your mag loaded should avoid this problem when walking.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: legalized SKS

here's where to place the bottlecap.

p.s.
I know it's not an actual Mountain Dew cap. I used this one to see the graphics on the top.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

unless you need some type of plug or a small mag. just load up 5 rounds or less. I hunt with my sks, most the time on the last day of CF. also drop the cash for the a name brand softpoints, winchester is what I use.

btw, I load only 3 round. just because you be lucky to get a second shot most them time.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Good idea and the pics are a nice bonus.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: corey012778

unless you need some type of plug or a small mag. just load up 5 rounds or less.

In michigan the Law states that the weapon cannot be capable of holding more than 6 rds in the magazine and chamber combined unless it's a .22 or lesser powered firearm. So, we have to plug or buy smaller mags

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

is that just hunting or all the time.

then that is a good idea.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice tip! I'm a big fan of simple and cheap.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: corey012778

is that just hunting or all the time.

then that is a good idea.

Just hunting. (srry about the delay, haven't been on in a while) If you're going to just go out shooting we're allowed to use 10-20-30rd magswhatever we can get our hands on.