Community
Guns Buy, sell, or trade your guns and gun accessories here.

Need Some Help.....WTB

Old 03-09-2008, 04:16 PM

Default Need Some Help.....WTB

I am getting welcomed in my girlfriends family and was asked to join the in fall to shoot some deer. My rifle collection consists of a Marlin .22.
Needless to say I need a deer rifle. I looked at some guns and everything seems to start at $300 and up. Did I mention that I'm broke. Does anybody have some old, cheap, rifle sitting in the back of their safe that they could sell me for around $150? As long as it will drop a deer I really don't care what it is. I thought about going with a military surplus rifle like a Russian Mosin, but I think I would get laughed out of camp if I came packing one of those. I can already see them asking me if I joined the Red Army or something.

I live in Minnesota and face to face would work best, but I guess people do ship guns. I don't know the first about how to do it but if you're willing, so am I.

Or if someone knows a good place to get a deal on a deer rifle in the MN area that would greatly help also.

Thanks everbody for your time, John
Old 03-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need Some Help.....WTB

If you really want to spend 150 or less on a rifle, I would suggest you do a google search for a used Savage model 110 or 111. Savage rifles are very affordable new and you may be able to find a used want in your range. Don't let the price fool you, Savage makes a very good rifle. I have a 111 in .270 and it has killedmany deer out to 350 yards. It was my first rifle and I have handed it down to my wife, who has killed some. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:45 PM

+2 on the Savage. I have a 300 win mag and 7mm rem mag. I have a cousin who has one in 30-06. He payed $400 for an aftermarket barrel for the rifle and the factory pencil thin barrel shot circles around it... Go for a .308, 30-06, .270 or something like that. All have plenty power for deer and can be stretched out to good distances as long as you do your part and practice.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Also look at the Stevens Mod 200 which is a Savage 110 action. Mossberg 100ATRs also. New they both run under $300 so if you find one used it should be a decent deal.

Go to your local gunshop and take your $150 and put one of the above in lay-away. $25.00 a month and you'll have it in 6 months just in time to sight it in for deer season. Choose a caliber like a 30-06because of factory ammo choices andwill be the most reasonable to shoot.

Another option. Buy a used in-line muzzleloader. A good quality muzzleloader will drop any deer out to 150 yds and beyond and you can find good used ones under $200 and usually all the testing has been done foraccurate loads. Sabotloader has one listed right now and i always have at least one sitting around i would let go for around the same price. I use a muzzleloader almost exclusively in Michigan. Having a ML will also extend your deer season without having to buy two rifles.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:02 PM

You can get a new Mossberg ATR100 for about 250.00. Thats the best deal going right now.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:47 PM

get your self a H&R handy Rifle Great Shooting Gun and won't Break your Pockets

Or a Good Muzzleloader whith practes just as Accurat as a CF rifle