Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Deer Gun for 8 year old

Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer Gun for 8 year old

I would check out the ruger m77 compact,these guns are short and light and available in 243 a good deer caliber,I have one in 223 that I use for coyote hunting and it's great,it's lighter than my daughters rem. model 700 SPS youth which would be another good choice in 243.These are the only ones I've had experience with that would be small enough for a youth hunter.I'm sure there are many others I looked at a model 7 youth one time and it's pretty short also.My next walk around rifle will be a ruger compact in 260rem or 308win I am very impressed with my 223's capability's they weight scope and all just over 7lbs which would be great for someone of small stature.good luck.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 PM

Marlin Model 336 30-30!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

None of the above.
I wouldn't take an 8 year old deer hunting.
He may well be up to it, but I'd keep him on the little stuff longer.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he is sitting right there hunting right along side dad, then I see nothing wrong with it. As far as the rifle goes, the Marlin 336 30/30 did the trick for both me when I was a kid and my son, and will probably do so for his son too.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 AM

Hey thanks guys for all the input. That's kinda what I was thinking.................
Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jr.alspanky

This will be our first year for deer hunting and I need to find a gun for my 8 year old. This past year was his first year hunting, we did a few rabbit and duck hunts. He was shooting a 20ga, which he liked except when I bought 3" #4's for duck hunting. He really didn't like the amount of recoil. What gun should I get him for deer hunting ? The less recoil the better. We will not be shooting any long range shots, probably 100 yards or less. I was think of getting a slug gun for myself.
If he can shoot a 20-ga., then he can shoot up to at least a 7/'08. So anything from a .243 up to a standard-size non magnum7mm should be OK. personally, I'd look at the smaller 6.5m's, like the 6.5X54 Mannlicher 6.5X55, 6.5X57, or .260 Remington. If you could find a good one, a small .250 Savage would be perfect! I would consider a single-shot or a bolt action. I would NOT recommend a semi-auto for an 8-year old! Spend a lot of time on the range with him before hunting season! Make sure he can shoot it effectively before he goes after game!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

ORIGINAL: SJAdventures

243 or 25-06 in a semi auto andManagedRecoilammo.
http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-Recoil.asp
Note: Since managed recoil ammo has less powder , and thus less energy , leading to less recoil, then it may not operate and fully eject a spent shellin a semi-auto rifle.

Remington did not say anything about this when they intorduced the ammo, I bought some for my wifes 30.06 and it shot likea .223 or less, but the cases hung on ejection. I contacted Remington and spoke with their technical dept. They said they had not conducted tests with the ammo in a semi-auto,because they never really intended it for that purpose. A couple of months later I noticed that their ads in magazineshad notations that the ammo may notfully operate semi-auto action guns. So while it is great ammo, and semi-auto guns are nice, the 2 don't really go together. If you try it , fine, and if it does operate the action fully, great, but if it does not..... well , now you know why....

God Bless
Good point MichaelT, I never thought of that but can see where that could or would be an issue.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:47 PM

IF you can get a rifle use a .243 but for a shotgun you could go with a mossberg 500 20ga. youth sluggun. MY little brother has one a the recoil is not to bad.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:53 PM

B - B

Can you say Daisey!

8 year old kids has no place in the woods with a loaded rifle - period!

you cannot show me a 8 year old kid that has the maturity to be a safe hunter.

I would in no circumstances let my 8 year old kid hunt with a rifle.

Some people ought to have their heads examined!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would opt for a 30 30 in a Marlin for the little fellow, especially if shots are going to be close. My second choice would be the 25 06. Lots of reach, with minimal recoil. I don't want to stir the pot, but, I've seen too many people with a 243 wound and not recover deer. There is no room for error with the 24 bore. I do know that the 25 06 will drive a 120 grain through an elk on a broadside. I have a couple buddies that use the 25 06 for moose, and they have never lost one. They are a lightening strike on deer, and great for varmints too.

Quick Reply: Deer Gun for 8 year old

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.