Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 710...junk? I think not...

Old 02-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 710...junk? I think not...

I' m with you Big ED- for a little more than the price of a 710 I was able to pick up an 03A3 which is a far cry better rifle than the 710, or for about the same price, my 2 Swedish M96' s which might as well as been made on a different planet than the 710 because there simply is no comparison in the quality department.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:41 PM

You know I didn' t even list all my mausers but your right. A ' 96 can be had for about 1/2 the price and it is many times the quality. And for a little but more than a 710 I bought a FN made Venezualen ' 98 Mauser in 7mm in nearly like new condition.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

What I don' t understand is how Remington is selling them at all. If you were in the market for a new gun ( first one or one of many) and picked one up looked it over and had to apply all your strength to close the bolt then picked up another brand that' s close to the same price and the bolt was a smooth as melted butter ..... Why buy the 710?
Old 02-26-2003, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think allot of these beautiful quality made 710' s (cough cough) are being bought by people who haven' t a clue about guns.They heard the name Remington and that' s good enough for them.The gun magazines are allot of the blame also.Maybe cost is another factor.There are so many better guns available for about the same money or a few dollar more.Remington' s living by the old sayings " A sucker is born every minute" and" A fool and his money are soon parted" I feel for those who were suckered in.This could be a good learning experience. Do your homework before you buy.Don' t believe everything you read in gun magazines.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-26-2003, 12:01 PM

I' m somewhat new to the hobby and have noticed that gun magazines are all over the place when it comes to opinions re guns. RugerRedhawk' s advice is well taken. Personal experience is the best advisor.

As for how Rem 710s have market share -- let me tell you that when I first started looking for a rifle I went right to Remington' s website as I already knew the Remington name, and when you don' t know anything that 710 looks very attractive as a starter rifle. Had I been more impulsive I would have ordered one. Lucky for me I decided I would talk to people (who weren' t gun magazine writers -- unless they were posting to my first thread here way back when) and do research instead. I decided not to buy the 710. Got my bonus recently and am trying to decide between a Tikka and a Savage.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roohunter welcome to the board, I' m glad someones has taken well to my advise.There are several different makes and models available.Remington does make some fine bolt action' s with their Model Seven and the 700 series.Savage makes excellent accurate rifles at a reasonable price.Tikka I have no experience with but have heard allot of good about them.I prefer Ruger' s and Browning' s.Ruger makes some fine bolt actions The M-77' s comes in several calibers and configurations.I shot a couple Browning " A Bolts" and was very impressed with them.Shoot as many different guns you can and decide which fits you the best.Decide what caliber will suit your needs the best. If you scope your rifle save up a little longer and buy a quality scope.In scope you get what you pay for.
Ruger Redhawk