Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 710...junk? I think not...

Old 02-11-2003, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Remington 710...junk? I think not...

Pahunter, you must realize a lot of folks here are very experienced and expect certain things from the weapons they own. The 710 may just fit in the starter group and be fine for 50% of the people who hunt...but to many others that really expect equipment to perform and feel good for laying down any cake...it isn't the weapon of choice.

A rifle is very much personal and with it you'll get a variety of opinions...yes good and bad. Rem. gets a lot of slap on this forum, that still doesn't make me feel bad about the rems I have in my box!!! I have always been pleased with my rems, just some don't like them for various reasons...I can deal and live with that.

What ever floats your canoe!!!!

Old 02-12-2003, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hog,

"How do you know he didn't hit it over the head with the 710?"

< Because the stock isn't broken.

Seriously, I've had two friends buy the 710 and one really likes his. The other's action started locking up so he sent it to a gun smith and said it's now fixed. He still has it but uses a modle 70 black shadow mostly.

If I didn't have the money to get a savage or blackshadow I would get a handi-rifle. But if all I could come by was a 710 I'd use it. I have no problem with it other than it's reputation. There are so many other choices. Used guns, single shots, reputable cheap guns, all seem like better choices than the 710.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 02-12-2003, 02:03 AM

i think the 710 rem is probally a beginner gun out there. but after you get into rifles you start to find out there are better ones out there. for instance i would take a savage package deal over the 710.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:06 AM

The 710 might be a good beginners gun, especially for someone who doesn't know rifles well. Though, I would never be seen in the woods with one. I'd rather spend the money on a Savage (and I don't even own a Savage) of equal price.

And I believe that picture is of dalliwacker's friend who shot that bear with a 30/06. He'll be able to tell if that picture has been "doctored" up.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the picture and the defender of the 710 take the cake...Whatever
Old 02-12-2003, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

I've been a gunsmith for more years than I care to admit. (over 25 years) I have had the distinct displeasure of working on a few 710's. I WOULD NOT even recommend the weapon for a starter gun. I'm a Rem rifle fan and am very disappointed in this model. The savage has it all over the 710. Junk? You bet! Shame on Remington!

The only good thing about is that I make money with it as it is becoming my # 1 customer.

"Semper Fi" Mac!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 710 will work for what its intended for, but is in no way well made. I've handled one in a gunshop once and was completely unimpressed. The bolt was very hard to close and was not smooth at all. The gun is ugly as sin in its elcheapo stock- though I'm not sure a decent stock, synthetic or otherwise would made it look any better. I have a whole rack of <$100 milsurps that are far better made.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 02-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not much on polls,but this topic has proved one thing for sure. Most people think the Remington 710 is garbage.I' ve been in these message boards for a couple years now. I have never seen any one gun have as many negitive comments as the Remington 710.For about the same money you could buy a Savage which is allot better rifle without a doubt.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of course the 710 is junk. No two ways about it. The only reason some people defend it is because they weren' t smart enough to buy a Savage which is a much better rifle at a better price.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:13 PM
bigcountry

You know for 90% of all the hunters its just fine. They won' t ever shoot out the barrel. And the animals they killed won' t know the difference. Its like like buying snapon tools or cheap japanese stuff at walmart. Most people couldn' t tell the difference. But if you are reading this forum, you probably take guns pretty seriously. Probably think of guns every day. In other words, a gun nut. And most people on this gun page wouldn' t have them.

But some of the best hunters I have ever seen use cheap 200 dollar rifles, but still bring home alot more meat than alot of hunters with all the Weatherbys of the world including myself. They could give a crap less about what gun they are using but care more about the animal right in front of them. As long as they can hit a paper plate at 100 yards, they are hunting. But what I have figured out about myself, is I love to shoot. Maybe more than hunting. But hunting is cool, cause I can do both. So I wouldn' t have them. And I do wear out barrels.

Quick Reply: Remington 710...junk? I think not...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.