Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The worst idea that sucked us all in

Old 02-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The worst idea that sucked us all in

How do you know what the exact poundage is required for your rifles...?
You can find your manufacturer's action torque specs in your owners manual or by emailing/calling tech support. If a custom gun your gunsmith should give you that info. Their is no general rules or guidleinesto torque specs in regards to firearms, they are all different and always changing. Basically it comes down to repeatability for the gun nut toreturn the action to the same mating each time.Other benefits include POI, less possibility of damage to the stock or fastner(action screw).

Inch lb torque drivers are the best way to do this.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:44 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: trailer

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I know I take special care with torquing my action screws to the exact poundage and that helps.
How do you know what the exact poundage is required for your rifles...?
I called Remington, Sako, Browning, talked to gunsmith, etc.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I’ll do some investigating...
Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: trailer

Thanks guys. I’ll do some investigating...
Its a big debate. But I generally will torque my front action screw on Remington, Sako's and brownings to 45 in/lbs. The back I will set snug. You will hear some say 35 in/lbs, and some as high at 55in/lbs.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’ll see what they say but will take note on what you wrote down. Thanks BC...
Old 02-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

I like mine. I got a really good deal on it, so that helps. Accuracy is acceptable. Not great, but 2" at 100yds makes it well within the vitals of anything I hunt with it. Has anyone done the trigger mods? Supposed to really help the accuracy.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

I like mine. I got a really good deal on it, so that helps. Accuracy is acceptable. Not great, but 2" at 100yds makes it well within the vitals of anything I hunt with it. Has anyone done the trigger mods? Supposed to really help the accuracy.

All mine needed was a little brownells moly and it broke clean at 2 3/4#s. At least thats all the gunsmith said he did to it. It sure didn't help the accuracy any.

Big I suspect you are on to something with the screws and all with the Encore... but hell I don't feel like spending more money on that damn thing. I think its about to become a $600 single shot turkey gun.... but oh well screw it the girlfriend will be happy with it.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

You guys aware some custom after market barrels would be a better choice than buying from TC? Cheaper too!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 PM
bigcountry

Where are they cheaper? I know friend with bullberry's that shoot like dimes at 200 yards, but man they paid more for them than a decent rifle.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Old/New

You guys aware some custom after market barrels would be a better choice than buying from TC? Cheaper too!

I'll admit outright that a custom barrel with an MOA guarentee is going to be better than what you'll get from TC, but NEVER cheaper.

And as it is, the 7-08 that is the problem for me came as a complete set up, NIB from TC.

Quick Reply: The worst idea that sucked us all in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.