Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whats the Feeling on Savages?

Old 03-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-04-2003, 12:54 PM

Default RE: Whats the Feeling on Savages?

I didn' t put down your choice of gun,I just wondered aloud what it had to do with a post on Savages.I get told savages are junk on forums all the time, but I notice when someone(not me) mentions remingtons not comparing to CRF' s that you get pretty excited there bigcountry.I tell you boys what,I' ll put my money where my claims are and again invite you to come watch me shoot a 1/2" group with a stock savage 12FV varmint gun.You' ve both alluded I' m lying and not capable of doing it and I say the proof is in the pudding.I didn' t call either of your guns dorky or fisherprice junk but I did wonder if they can shoot real 1/2" groups.Air gets pretty thin up with the 1/2 minute of angle guns and I' ve shot enough long range silhouette to know not everyone is capable of doing it,savage just gives me a chance to do it without spending a fortune.

This group measures .750 from widest points less .224 gives a six shot .526 group.Shot from a bench with sandbags and a 16X Bushnell 4200 scope.White bull is 5/8" in diameter.Ammo Winchester 45gr jacketed HP.

woods

Old 03-04-2003, 01:03 PM

MnHunter where did I put down custom guns? I own a couple myself and enjoy them,however I hunt with savage guns and find them VERY accurate.I don' t name call and if you go back over my posts and reread I never called anyone elses guns names I just wondered what they had to do with a savage gun post.Believe what you want on accuracy,I stand behind what I claim mine will do.I assure you if you start a post on custom guns I won' t come on calling them various names and you a liar as to any claim you make.I don' t know you so don' t know if what you say is true or not, so I' ll accept your word on it till proven to me otherwise.All I ask is for others to do the same for me.Cheers

woods

Old 03-04-2003, 01:16 PM
bigcountry

Guys, please, save your breath. I have a bunch of those little targets myself showing even one hole for five shots. No big deal, everybody on this sight has these targets. Even with my 7400. But I can' t count the times I have called someones bluff and took them to the range. And saw that this isn' t every time they get these groups. In fact, not every trip. Just once in a while. Usually when they go to the range, there is always some silly excuse.

Ok, woodseye, I know of three people personally, that don' t get these kinda of groups with thier savage 16' s. Are you saying that all savages get these groups??? Trying to understand what you are saying. The guy asked for feelings on the savages, not " get feelings hurt when someone don' t like a savage and states thier opinion" .

GTBuzz, is their something wrong with expressing an opinion? And yes, I hunt every year with a 740 rifle that is half the price of a savage and have been since I was 16. Always have and alway will. And I always take 5 deer with it at least. And it gets 2.5" groups at 100 yards. So does that mean that people are " dumb" for paying 390 dollars for a savage when they can kill with a gun 1/4 of the cost? I am sure that deer that gets hit with it isn' t caring that I missed the center of the heart but clipped the right side because I don' t get .5" groups. What I am getting at is everybody is different and has different wants. Not everybody only uses their firearms for hunting only.

Old 03-04-2003, 01:43 PM

I don' t ever recall stating anyone was " dumb" for anything. I belive you must have not read what I wrote, or perhaps I didn' t state it properly. Nevertheless, I don' t think anybody is dumb for whatever they choose. If someone wants to spend $15,000 on an Echols engraved custom rifle that' s great - I can afford them too but I dont feel that' s necessary (for my purposes).

My primary interest in rifles are Lever Actions and Milsurps - none of which shoot 1" groups. Sure they might shoot an occasional 1" group - but that' s the exception to the rule. I have several Milsurps that shoot pretty good (Enfield No 4 Mk1, a VKT M39, and believe it or not a 1944 Turk). Certainly none of my lever guns shoot that good either.

The " Georgians" over at HuntAmerica.Com have a 530 yard competetion every year. Last year about 25 of us went. Rifles ranged from bone stock Savages to Remington 40X rifles and my Turkish Mauser with Iron sights. I didn' t have any problem backing up my claims of accuracy with my Savages and my (gulp) Turkish Mauser. You are welcome to watch 3 of us that shoot Savage rifles " mop up" the friendly competetion. . There is a guy with a CZ Varmint that makes a really strong showing too.

I thoroughly enjoy shooting and shoot about 100 rounds of high powered rifles about 2 or 3 times a month. I am fortunate enough to have a club with concrete covered benches and a 300 yard range.

I get the most satisfaction out of making hits on plate sized targets at 300 yards with my milsurps. To me shooting timy groups with a bolt gun is, well pretty boring.

Killing a doe 2 years ago with a $50 Mauser was pretty cool.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-04-2003, 03:17 PM

Hey not a problem,I respect other hunters and shooters also.We all share a common love,hunting and shooting,we just don' t all do it the same way thats all.Nothing wrong with debate thats what keeps these forums lively,heck look at the number of hits on this thread and you can see that debate and sharing thoughts on hunting and shooting subjects draw a crowd As for GTBuzz,I' m not in his league for shooting, hes well known over on HA for his shooting abilities and they are beyond me [:' (]guess cause hes younger with steadier hands.All you guys have a good one and keep shootin' !

woods[&:]
Old 03-04-2003, 03:41 PM

bigcountry I' ll answer your questions and then I' m done as nothing I say or do will be accepted by you and hey thats OK,I just don' t want to waste the energy debating with someone who don' t believe anything I say.No I don' t think a savage 16 will shoot 1/2" groups unless its really exceptional.They are the stainless sporter weight rifles(6 3/4#) with light profile 22" /24" barrels.I have two a 300WSM and a 7mm-08 and both shoot 3/4" -inch.I consider this good for their barrels and weight,my 1/2" gun is a 12FV 26" bull barrel that weighs over 10# with scope.I do have a 110 in 243 that shoots 1/2-3/4" pretty consistantly and feel its the exception rather than the rule for lighter weight sporter class guns.I don' t know what kind of shooting backgrounds and abilities your friends have so I don' t know what they are capable of from a benchrest with a model 16 that the barrel has been checked to make sure it floats and the trigger has been set to about 3#,with the action screws good and tight and the bore good and clean.I would say with a load the gun likes it should shoot 3/4" -1" as that has been my experience with that gun model.

woods
Old 03-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Whew, I had a lot of stuff I was going to say about my savage model 112 in .300 win mag, but after reading through all this mess I' ll only say this. Last year I was planning on buying a heavy barreled varmint style .300 for deer hunting from box stands. I didn' t a whole lot about the savage having never owned one, but I do know plenty about guns, shooting, and accuracy having cut my teeth on guns, shooting, hunting etc. since I was a small kid (I am now 34 yrs. old). Last summer I was In limbo trying to decide between the mod. 70 coyote, the 700 sendero, and the savage 112. I was in our local store and saw an elcheapo savage 110 .243 sitting beside a sendero in .300 win. The thing that immediately struck me was that the action on that 110 was better made, and beefier that the sendero. I made my decision right then and got my cousin who has ffl license to order my sav. 112 vss and a Leopould vari-x 111 6.5-20 scope for me. The scope cost more than the gun did, and I' ll never regret buying it. If I ever do buy another factory bolt gun, It will be a savage.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:57 AM
bigcountry

Ok, thats it. This week I am going to go out and try to compromise. I am going to try to get my hands on that tactical model with the accutrigger, and mcmillian stock. Still have the action to deal with, but the stock and barrel are great. Shoot it against my PSS, and mod 70 270 and post my results. I went yesterday and looked at them at Bass pro again. Didn' t have the one with the good stock. But will try to find one.

Quick Reply: Whats the Feeling on Savages?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.