Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slug gun

Old 02-09-2003, 01:07 PM

Default slug gun

what should you expect from a slug gun?(by slug gun i mean a shotgun with a rifled barrel) in terms of range how far would be a max shot? would a muzzel loader be more accurate at long disances or would a slug gun? im gunna buy a new deer gun and dont know if i should et a muzzel loader or a shotgunwith a rifled barrel
Old 02-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: slug gun

As far as accuracy and range goes it all depends on your indiviual gun. A slug gun in general would be more accurate than a muzzleloader but many muzzleloaders are VERY accurate. If you work with a slug gun and try different ammo and tune it well, it might get passable groups at 200 yards. But most go about 150 yards out of the box.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 02-10-2003, 08:33 AM
bigcountry

Honestly, it would have to be one steady shot with a sluggun to take a 150 yard shot. It is doable. I get 2" groups with my browning gold slug gun. 100 yards is most I will shoot anymore with it with the regular 1oz slugs. But next year, I am going to try those lighter slugs from remington with extended range.

Old 02-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I disagree. I think muzzleloaders are more accurate. I never shoot oover 100 yards. If you want a slug gun, the H&R Ultraslug is a very accurate gun,and the price is low.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:26 PM

how much does a H&R superslug cost in comparison to a nice muzzel loader?
Old 02-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

H&R are very inexpencive. I'd get one. You just have to shop around on the net for someplace that sells them and lists the price.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 02-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with the H & R ultra slug gun, i belive a good inline ML will run u more than it will.

Belladonna: In Italian, a beautiful lady; in English a deadly poison.
-Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
Old 02-11-2003, 10:44 AM

I bought the H&R ultra slugger a couple of years ago. Its a 12 ga single shot built on a 10 ga blank. I paid $200.00 at a local gun shop and topped it off with a bushnell 1.75-5x32 trophy scope. I shoot the old federal premium 3 inch hour glass shaped sabots and get 1 inch groups at 100 yards. As soon as I shoot all of these up I will be switching to the new winchester 2 3/4 inch partition golds. You are supposed to be able to shoot out to 200 yards with these. I have never recovered a sbot from a kill. You get complete pass throughs as the round weighs about an ounce. It leaves quarter sized holes all the way through the animal. No problem with blood trails. The gun without scope weighs 9 pounds. I would rather hunt with it than my 7mm rem mag.

Old 02-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well boys this is a subject I love (just like my H & R Ultra!).

1950KID - You are right on.

MIKEW62 - All you say is correct from here! Exceptionally accurate gun! I got away from sabots though, they are alright but have proven not to be as consistently accurate as I've found the Genuine Brenneke slugs to be. Brenneke recommends then for rifled barrels and I love them. Depending how far I anticipate a shot to be from a given stand or stalk I will use the appropriate slug, 2 3/4" or 3". They too go right through and carry more energy I believe than any other slugs out there. I had a deer come in on me and didn't see him till about 75 yards and couldn't raise and shoot till it was about 45-50 yards and right straight at me. I wasn't expecting a close shot like this so I had Brennekre 3" Gold Mag chambered. From my tree stand it went in about top of breast plate and went out rear left roast. When gutting it out you wouldn't believe how much shock had been delivered to it's internals! Brennekes are worth a try Mike! I feel they give superior performance both accuracy and especially knockdown than sabots and cost is better.

BUT.......200 yards is not an ethical shot by me, as I don't shoot anything or any distance without complete confidence in the abilities of me and my weapon.

I did a little experiment. I used standard paper plate. ( I always do for practice or sight in cause that's the basic size of a whitetails heart lung area). Used bed of my truck as a rest. Shot 5 to warm up. Then.............100 yards = 3 out of 3 in tight group (2 touched).
150 yards = Got 3 out of three on plate, closest 2 being 3 inches. 175 yards = Got 2 out of three on plate. both were within 2 inches of edge @ 9 and 2 o'clock positions. 200 YARDS = Had to shoot 5 times to hit paper, and two more shots couldn't find the plate.

But by all means this is a deadly #$*(^$#!@&()*^ 'er!!! What makes it so accurate is the bull barrel (10 gauge blank drilled and rifled to 12 gauge-and H& R keeps their dimensions TIGHT to really "POP" that slug out!)

I bought mine when they first came out, it's a 12 gauge (actually first year was 20 ga. only, mine is second year). Mine is "Deluxe" model which was checkerewd stocks and it is the laminated camo finish. It has somehow been given the nickname "Pimpgun" by a few guys I hunt with. I topped it with a Simmons 4X shotgun scope, which has worked out great. 2X was a consideration but when wanting to "reach out to nature" a 4X is a better choice.

I will be buying a new Ultra Slug in 20 gauge for my son pretty quick and have been pricing at local shops....about $220-250 is what they're asking. They all come with no sights at all, just a scope rail (really nice one, too) as they always have.

In closing Mike I would like to thank you for reminding me of those two old words that I had almost completely forgotten. BLOOD. TRAIL.

Ain't done any since I got my H& R!

Uncle Matt in Illinois!
Old 02-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle Matt, Try 3 inch Federal sabots in the 20 guage. I like Lightfield too.
(Do you think I have too many deer guns?)

Quick Reply: slug gun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.