Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slug gun

Old 02-21-2003, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: slug gun

bigcountry, does your Browning Gold have a rifled barrel? If it does or doesn' t what type of ammo are you having the best results with?

I am not sure what you mean when you say: " improve the BC of a slug up to .2 or so..."
Old 02-21-2003, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Antler Eater,

BC = Ballistic Coefficient
Old 02-21-2003, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks UM
Old 02-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I personally don' t really notice the weight between guns. The H & R comes with a sling if it gets too heavy for ya. I use the sling going out in early morning before legal shooting starts.

Big Country, I haven' t seen a Browning that doesn' t shoot reasonably well. And I' ve never really seen any Brownings with function problems either. Both points that apply to Remington autos, too. If you' re shootin thru a rifled barrel, I would be very disappointed if I couldn' t touch a couple holes out of 5 or 6 at 100 yards. Brownies are nicer weapons no doubt, in the fact of the wood finishes but you really do have to fork out the cash for one. I prefer the Belguim made ones as they truly had the " old world craftsmanship" that many mistakenly think they all still do.

But back to the pound or two weight difference comparing an H & R to autos or pumps. Yes the H & R is probobly the heaviest out there, listed in H & R' s book @ 8 - 9 pounds. (If anyone can tell me a heavier one, please do.) Being I am an ex-jock and current soccer coach and trainer, good sized @ about 6-1 & 265 pounds I don' t care if a gun is 2 pounds or 10 pounds.

If your weapon weighing a couple of extra pounds is gonna make or break your hunting experience then be careful out there with tour Browning " Light" . Only shoot the smaller deer..........if they are too large you' ll have to drag all that extra unneccessary weight out of the field! Remember, even a fat doe has a bone-to-meat ratio that is beyond what is considered efficient. (Just LOL with me & don' t take it personally now, OK?)

I won' t hunt in any woods that don' t have sidewalks either as it is simply too hard to walk thru weeds, over deadfalls, etc.........

To each his own. I eat meat, some people don' t. I like Dodge trucks, others like Ford or Chevy. 12 or 20 gauge? .30-06 or 7mm? 9mm or .45?.........................................Whate ver it takes to get the job done!

I wish you all very rewarding and sucessful hunting! Remember, the hunt is great the minute you step into the great outdoors, whether you harvest your game or not, you' re a winner!

Now....." Go Get Ya One!"

Uncle Matt