Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Safes

Old 02-10-2003, 09:18 PM

Default RE: Gun Safes

Check out Champion Safes. The guy(s) who started Liberty Safes run the company. They are built better than Liberty and less $$.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

PaJack:

I looked at the Winchester safe at Sam's today it seems like a well made safe. I need to do more resarch.

Please keep the info. coming all your posts are really helping. Thanks
Old 02-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-11-2003, 10:56 AM

Just my $.02 I have a Fort Knox safe, and it is a wonderful safe, not sure what the fire rating is, hehe. I am also a firefighter. In a typical house fire the minimum would be sufficient. Now, if it was a good house fire, one where say the house goes to the ground, you better get the best that you can buy cuz it will get to be over 1500* in there for a long time. Also depends where you live in proximity to the FD, if you have a fire alarm (quicker response time from the FF's). I would not put a heavy safe on the top floor of your house, the garage would be good and there are many ways to secure them, most have holes in the floor to secure through concrete. Also I have that golden rod in mine and it is in the basement (very humid) and have had no probs with humidity. Anyway, I used to sell Liberty safes (four years ago) and they are a very nice safe, mostly the difference in price on them is the combo lock and the pretty outside. I dont know if they have changed in teh last four years or not. You cannot go wrong with Fort Knox or Liberty.

PS: Make sure that it is heavy enough that it cannot be carried off with the dolly in your own house!

Why am I sittin here on this stupid PC when I could be huntin'

Edited by - ARBowHntr on 02/11/2003 18:47:51
Old 02-11-2003, 11:19 AM
bigcountry

Oh yea, I forgot about Champion. Very nice also Webicle, the dealer near my house that sell the libertys also sell them.

Roman, I did alot of homework on this. And also have redone part of my safe on the inside. Its a browning Medallion and the fire proofing was all the way to the top. So was the libery. I am very fimiluar with Omega labs and Metlabs, seeing how they test our equipment in the fiber optic world. They claim they test the safes standing up in a matter that it would be in the real world. Just curious on what safes you were referring too.

Old 02-11-2003, 12:59 PM

I had posted a question about storing guns a month back. Last response was 1/18 if you want to look back at it. A particularly good response came from Elkampmaster, thought I'd share it in this post. I decided on a smaller safe, I can buy two for the price of some of the biggies. Fire protection wasn't a primary concern for me. A size that I can easily move and put in a normal depth closet out of site were the key deciding factors.
__________________________________________________ __________________

Gun safes are the way to go and some degree of fire protection is a plus. Here are few thoughts I didn't see addressed that may "weigh" in your decision:

(1) I'd recommend that you be discrete with your gunsafe and keep it out of sight rather than strutting it in your living room or den because there are at least four benefits of doing so:

(2) First benefit: if your home is robbed and they don't come prepared for a gun safe, then it is HIGHLY unlikely they will get it open. If they know its there (it is in your living room/den - word of mouth, friends, acquaintances, parties, etc.) and they come prepared with a Mikta grinder with a cutoff wheel, then you WILL loose your guns unless the neighbors hear them cutting.

On my brothers estate we had 3 safes and no combinations. Safecracker got two open using s stethoscope, but couldn't get the "best" one open. The cut off wheel went through it like a knife through butter!

(3) Second benefit: a "plain jane" safe will protect just fine against fire and theft and if its discrete you can save big bucks by getting the "ugly" econoline finish since no one is going to see it but you.

(4) Third benefit: you can buy two gun safes! Rather than getting the "grand daddy of them all" that will hold all the guns you might ever buy, you can take a more realistic and economical approach of getting a safe for your current needs and if you buy more guns latter, then buy another safe later - the main thing is to get something NOW, not someday. (Plus it harder to break into two safes than it is just one.)

(5) Fourth benefit: when you move to a new home, it will be easier to move two smaller ones than one huge one. The safe people have specialized motorized stair walking dollies, your moving van company won't.

(6) Basements: If you are putting your gun safe in the basement, then consider elevating it a foot or so off the floor on a heavy platform. Why? You safe can protect against fire but it can't protect against water and flooded basements happen. Fortunately most are a mess but not too deep (few inches), so give your guns a sporting chance that you will discover the flood before its too late.

(7) What is a safe? If they can pry open the door with a crowbar, possibly from your own garage, it isn't safe!

(8) For any safe over 300 pounds pay the money for delivery and stand back! You can get hurt easier than you think moving one of them into your home! For bigger safes, consult with the deliver man as to whether you need to do any reinforcing (like basement stairs).

(9) Its been mentioned but its a great tip so worth repeating, anchor the safe so they (or you or the kids) can't tip it over. The safes themselves involve an element of danger.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:52 PM

Big Country,

I must say I didn't have the facts as you do. I was quoting the salesman . Will I ever learn not to do that?
Thanks for the info.
I really appriciate the ideas and info i'm reading here.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

DG:

I wish I could build a built in safe, but I live in an apartment.

A lot of good information keep it coming. Thanks.

Edited by - handloader1 on 02/11/2003 23:39:26
Old 02-12-2003, 08:02 AM
bigcountry

Roman, your probably right on some brands. Just curious on which. You won't believe the tricks companies play in passing tests. Including my own. We do a totally different test with my companies gear. RF radio stuff. But they perform the fire tests and all in the same facility for other companies.

They lay the safe flat on the ground according to some technicians. And thats the only way they pass. Which we all know is not real life scenios.

Old 02-14-2003, 03:11 AM

Big Country,
I think we need to remember that these ratings are only a guide. Out town had a structure fire yesterday and the main part of the house is in the cellar. If they had a gun safe I can only assume the contents are far from salvageable.
I won' t try to list the brands of safes that could have lesser amounts of insulation because it relies on a salesmans spew and ANY safe would have failed at the fire I mention prevoiusly.

Quick Reply: Gun Safes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.