Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New gun

Old 02-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New gun

You made a good choice in rifles.As far as scopes go I would get the leupold 2x-7x-33 var.X II.This is the only scope i put on my deer rifles anymore.They are dependable and all the scope I need for deer hunting.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

I'd also would go with the leupold 2x7x33 or a 3x9x33 compact. Zeak
Old 02-09-2003, 12:40 PM

Weavers future is up in the air right now along with Redfield and Simmons.The Leupold VX ll in 3x9x40 is the best bet in the $240-260 range and the Zeiss Conquest is the best in the $370-380 class.Just compared the Zeiss to the Vari X lll and it beat the Leupold hands down across the board in everything but weight.A happy Leupold and Zeiss user.Buy the best glass you can, cause it can never be too good,but it can be not good enough during some hunting conditions.

woods
Old 02-09-2003, 06:44 PM

HuntinRookie,
They are all nice bright and shiny at the display case and that's fine, but the measuring stick is out in the field after the use and abuse. If you tally up the posts here I think you'll see leupold is in the lead. I have some of everything, but on my prize rifles it's leupold. The only scope I ever owned that made the sound of grinding glass as you changed power was a Weaver. Don't get lead astray. When you're around the campfire towards the end of the season you don't want to be the one making any excuses because of your scope.

Never Undergunned,
EKM

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Learn from the mistakes of others; you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself!
Old 02-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

id agree on a leupold..last year my tasco broke and i was the one sitting in camp telling storys of 2 wounded and lost deer and a clean miss...i knew it wasnt me i never had a problem shooting game and punch groups that make some men mad...sure enough the scope was broke..when i changed power in the filed the cross haird move all around somehow..i threw it out..saved my grass cutting money and came up with 175 bucks..went to the gunshop told the guy i wanted a 3x9..the best for under 175bucks...he gave me a barely used leupold 3x9x40 vari-x II for 150..im his buddy he wanted 165...it worked great for me this year...though i dont need the bulk or weight of a 40mm or the power of a 3x9 you never know when i will im only turning 16 my hunting styles still need to develop on my own..its a great scope..clear as can be and dead on..i moved the powers and kept shooting to make sure i wouldnt have any problems and it still works..i will spend the money for scopes for now on..also nice choice on the rifle and caliber...hope you like it
Old 02-10-2003, 11:41 AM

Buddy of mine has a 2-3 yr old Simmons Atec on his Remington 700 Synthetic. If it's a sunny day, he isn't worth poop. There's no use in going out. Way too much glare. He bought it off one of our friends who wanted to upgrade to a Leupold VX-II.

Go with Leupold.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can get a 3-9 Leupold for about $200 if you look around.

Old 02-10-2003, 06:41 PM

good choice on gun and caliber I have a Remington 700 mountain rifle with detachable magazine in 30/06 with Leupold Compact 3-9x33 works excellent also a joy to carry in the woods my favorite gun to hunt with.Whatever scope you decide just make sure it's a Leupold (LIFETIME WARRANTY AND MADE IN THE USA!!)