Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ok fellas....which would you go with??

Old 02-07-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Ok fellas....which would you go with??

I think that I have decided on a couple of models for scopes. One is a Leupold 3.5-10x50mm illuminated plex reticle or a....Burris Fullfield 2 LRS 3.5-10x50mm illuminated plex reticle. Both are pretty much the same scope except for the Burris is around $140 cheaper. Do any of you have either of these? Any comments on them? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"There's nothing better than being out in the woods".
Old 02-07-2003, 12:20 PM

Default RE: Ok fellas....which would you go with??

Oh the Leupold is a Vari-X III.

Old 02-07-2003, 01:05 PM

Or maybe another question would be, How many of you guys would go with illuminated or not in a 3.5-10x50mm category(Burris or Leupold)?

Old 02-07-2003, 03:19 PM

Stump,
Sounds like you plan to do a lot of hunting at dusk and dawn with that setup.
Don't know what type of hunting you are doing.
Just my opinion, I believe a 40mm or 32mm scope is fine for most purposes, they will provide plenty of light for 99 percent of your needs in the premium scopes you are describing. If you don't mind the extra weight and cost, go for it.
The Leupold III is a brighter clearer scope than the Burris Fullfield.
I believe the comparable scope in Burris is the Signature series, but they are much heavier than the Leupold.
I personally would not get the illuminated reticle but if it allows you to shoot five minutes earlier or later in the day and that is the five minutes in which you find your trophy then it may be worth it to you.
You would certainly not be handicapped with either of those choices, both nice scopes. Good choice on the magnification by the way.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:40 PM

This is how I kind of look at it. I'm already spending a descent chunk of change, so why not spend $100 more dollars or so. I also want to buy the "RIGHT" scope, so 5 years from now I'm not kickin myself in the butt because I didn't get the right one in the first place. Plus it's not like this item won't be good 5-10 years from now. Hopefully if I get the right one, it will last me many, many years. Thankyou all for the info.

Old 02-07-2003, 04:23 PM

Stump,
It is hard to give really good advice without more facts.
If you could describe your hunting application for this scope that makes it a lot easier. What rifle is it going on, what are you hunting, what type of country, typical range of shots. What type of hunting you are doing, treestand, spot and stalk or ?. Hunting in a dry climate or expect to be rained on, etc:.
I see guys who hunt in treestands wearing $1200. binoculars around their necks and just hope they didn't spend that kind of money for a binocular to use for a few seconds at a time a few times a day.
Just because you can spend the money doesn't always mean you need to or should. For a guy that goes hunting a couple days a year and is happy with any deer a scope under $200 is plenty. There are many good brands to choose from under $200.
Match your equipment to YOUR needs.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:47 PM

Noway(and maybe others).....I am going up to Canada hunting for deer in Nov. The scope will be going on a Rem 30-06 model 700. I'm not really sure what my range of shots will be, but I would like to be able to shoot out to 200 yards with atleast some ease. I totally understand what you are saying about match the equipment with the hunter and the hunting that he does. Here is my situation....I have never hunted with a rifle(only bow and shotgun up till now) and will maybe be going on only one rifle hunting trip a year. I'm not really getting this scope for only this year. I want to get a piece of equipment that will suit my needs maybe in the future also. Maybe a trip out west someday. It's not like I got cash to throw around, but to me, why spend 200-250(which would be a great scope for whitetails) now and then if I want to go out west or something like that, then I have to spend more $$ on another scope because it's just not quite good enough. I am willing to spend the $$ on a really good scope now that will last me many, many years and will be to accomidate many different terrains and animals. Kind of know what I'm getting at? It's kind of like my bow, I have $1600 spent on that thing over the last few years and it's nice, but I wouldn't ever go back and do things sort of half-a**ed. But bows are another story. Hope you understand what I mean and I'm sorry that this is long winded. he, he Thanks for the info.

Old 02-08-2003, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Go with the Leupold....so you are spending 140 dollars more....not a lot more money for what is hopefully a long term investment. You will love the scope. And practice, practice, practice.....so that your shooting becomes second nature. Good Luck with whatever you chose!

Edited by - Christine B on 02/08/2003 04:31:16
Old 02-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-08-2003, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go with the Varix III, the burris signature series is a more compareable model to the vari x III. I tried both the signature series and FF II from burris this summer and opted for the signature series. I have a VarixIII 3.5x10x50 already. I was thinking Varix III all the way but the price was way up and the deal on the signature series was to good not to try. 100% honesty here, I see no difference in clarity between it and the vari x III and to this point am very pleased with my decision. However I would never choose a FFII over a Vari XIII, big difference and for the difference your talking I wouldn't even question it....the LOOPY gets the nod.

I answered your question on illuminated plex...I say no need. I have 50MM scopes in Leupold, Burris and Bushnell Elites in all cases if its legal you can easily shoot & actually well past or before. I also don't like the extra thing to go wrong or a battery to fail in the field. I would save the money on that option and put it into your other needs for the trip or your bow obession...he!he! BTW I live/hunt in Saskatchewan, Canada so I know what Nov. deer hunts are like and the 50MM will do the job just fine.

You should really talk to your outfitter and ask him what the plan is for you when you are hunting there. IE: locations of stand/blind and shooting distance (average and farthest), then practice and hone your skill for the trip. In most case 100-200 yard shots are the norm in Saskatchewan for outfitters to set their hunters up on. Also if you hunt in Sask, you'll most likely be hunting over bait or meadows where the shots will only max out to 200, if lucky. If they put you on a cutline in many areas of canada, expect the longer pokes to be a possibility. In any regards put a call into your outfitter and get the score, that way you'll have a good idea what to expect before you arrive.

Quick Reply: Ok fellas....which would you go with??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.