Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Talk to me about SxS vs O/U shotguns

Old 02-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Talk to me about SxS vs O/U shotguns

We have an O/U and a S/S Baretta. The one thing i like about the S/S is that it's easier to unload and load. Got to make sure the action is all the way open to be able to get that bottom shell out/in.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM

I grew up hunting rabbits with a Spanish made SxS in 16 ga. Still have theSxS but now shoot an O/U. Just seems to sight better for quail and clays.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

A decent sxs is going to cost alot more than a decent o/u. I have a citori, love it, still want a sxs too. I hate the double triggers, most better shotguns have one selective trigger, or atleast offer as an option. Havent looked in a couple of years, but a decent o/u can be had for around 1-1.5k, sxs's around 2-2.5k. I'm not sure why the difference is so high, but what its what ive seen.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Kimber sxs? My boss is looking at one that I believe begins with a 'V'.

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-05-2008, 02:55 PM
DM

I also have both...

Most folks like the O/U because they are cheaper...

I think one reason trap shooters like an O/U is, because when they use the "lower bbl.", there's less felt recoil...

Personally, i much prefera qualityS/S and i'm willing to pay more to get one...

DM

I want to edit in, that i have no use for a double with a "single" trigger... Having "two" triggers gives you an "instant" choise of chokes! And it works perfectly on a hunting gun...
Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Spike

I have another question.

I noticed a lot of people in here have commented about not liking dual triggers versus a single selectable trigger. How does the single trigger work? I mean how do you pick which barrel it fires at a given time?

To me it seems more logical that two triggers would be better due to not having to think about switching a selector.

Also, what would you guys consider a minimum quality gun? I don't mind spending a bit more for quality, but that money had better be put towardsactual qualityenhancements on the firearm (i.e. better material in the receiver, barrel, etc). I don't want a bunch of fancy wood, silly engraving or anything else to drive the price up. Does anybody offer anything like that? To me appearance isn't even a consideration, I just want somethingthat'll do its job long enough to hand down someday.

I simply can't see spending a ton of money on something I'll be afraid to shoot over concerns of marring a perfect finish.

So I guess I was wondering if the Remington SPS models are any good, or what other somewhat inexpensive models I might want to be looking at. I really don't want to spend more than $1k, and preferrably would rather spend a bit less.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the shotguns I had or have has a selector to choose which barrel is fired first. If your looking at something inexpensive, may I suggest the Baikal shotguns. Not expensive and looks ok. As previously mentioned my little 410 sxs works very well and has a single trigger. Nothing fancy but it works. Check link for more info... www.baikalinc.ru/eng
Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

If (by some act of god) I miss the first shot, there is no fumbling looking for the other trigger, its in the same place! Maybe it could be learned, but I dont like it. I almost always want the loose choke first, tighter second.

Edit: the sxs's cost that much without anything fancy, you can have a slightly well dressed o/u for $2500, not true with a sxs, plain jane.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't remember exactly who wrote it, but I think it may have been Bob Brister... he wrote that "If God wanted me to shoot an over/under shotgun, he would have stacked my eyes in a similar fashion."

It is really up to you. I will say that if you don't grow up shooting one like I did, then most folks I've talked to have expressed a difficulty in getting used to them...in regards to looking over two barrels instead of one. The sight picture is definately unique to anything else.

I will also say that in a situation that requires quick reloading, the SxS is FAR superior as it does not need to be broken at as great and angle to eject the cases, recock the hammers and reload quickly. Thats why you see African PHs carry double rifles... that an a quick second shot.... instead of O/U Express rifles. Rather a moot point unless you are being charged by a herd of disgruntled rabbits....might make a difference on a driven phesant hunt... but you'll have a gun man behind reloading anyway. Ahhh the finer things in life...

I'm not entirely sure here, but from my research and dealings in these things, it seems to me (and bear in mind I have conducted no tests) that when it comes to field guns, SxSs seems to usually have stronger actions (this of course depends on the gun and maker). Certainly the Kreighoffs are some of the toughest ever built, the K80 being an top and bottom, but the Winchester 21 action from what I understand is one of the few to have never been broken by English Proofing Loads. Could be rumors... who knows.