Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Let's discuss Bullet Penetration

Old 02-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Let's discuss Bullet Penetration

I'd like to know exactly what bullet was loaded into the 220 swift in order for it to penetrate 3/4" steel plate. I don't mean to be the pessemist but I have a hard time believing that a lead .22 caliber "hunting" bullet penetrated 3/4" steel plate regardless of how fast it was traveling.

A .308 AP will berely penetrate that much steel and not always and evenlead 50 bmg bulletswon't likely penetrate 3/4" steel plate unless you are at point blank range.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already knew it was going to be the ,220 swift. I have seen tests on this before.
I read a .220 swift will not exit an empty beer can at 10 ft but will pentrate 1/2" steel at the same distance. Try it and see. the can just blows up but no exit. thats what I read anyways
Old 02-05-2008, 03:07 AM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I already knew it was going to be the ,220 swift. I have seen tests on this before.
I read a .220 swift will not exit an empty beer can at 10 ft but will pentrate 1/2" steel at the same distance. Try it and see. the can just blows up but no exit. thats what I read anyways

That's just crazy
Old 02-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, before I look at your results, I will guess it was either the .220 Swift or the .22/250. This guess is based on the results of similar tests run by people like Phil Sharpe, Townsend Whelen, and Harvey Donaldsonwhen they were developing .22-cal. varmint rifles back in the 1930's..... The HV .22 bullets, regardless of type, would often blow hens-egg sized holes through steel plate that even a .30/'06 AP round only made a smear on....
Old 02-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I'd like to know exactly what bullet was loaded into the 220 swift in order for it to penetrate 3/4" steel plate. I don't mean to be the pessemist but I have a hard time believing that a lead .22 caliber "hunting" bullet penetrated 3/4" steel plate regardless of how fast it was traveling.

A .308 AP will berely penetrate that much steel and not always and evenlead 50 bmg bulletswon't likely penetrate 3/4" steel plate unless you are at point blank range.
Toro Grande, I refer you to Phil Sharpe's COMPLETE GUIDE TO HANDLOADING, if you want to know more about this! The type of bullet MAKES NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL if it is moving fast enough when it hits the steel plate. It doesn't PENETRATE, it blasts a hole all the way through the plate. The .220 Swift's bullets can be driven that fast. I suspect you could get the same, or similar results from the .22/250 as well.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Toro Grande, I refer you to Phil Sharpe's COMPLETE GUIDE TO HANDLOADING, if you want to know more about this! The type of bullet MAKES NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL if it is moving fast enough when it hits the steel plate. It doesn't PENETRATE, it blasts a hole all the way through the plate. The .220 Swift's bullets can be driven that fast. I suspect you could get the same, or similar results from the .22/250 as well.
You are correct. It just blast a whole thru the steel.. I you have ever shot a 22 Lr at a tin can and saw the back side of the can you can envision what a 220 swift does to a piece of steel.. The most amazing part is the steel is peeled back on both the back side and the front side.. I am not sure what bullet type we were using but I know the ballistics said it was running about 4100FPS.. So it was either a 40 or 50 grain bullet..

Now for the one that Almost made it thru..

It was the 308.. It left a big buldge on the backside of the steel..
Old 02-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow......pretty neat!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's just crazy. I would never envision a 22 bullet blowing through 3/4" steel plate.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

That's just crazy. I would never envision a 22 bullet blowing through 3/4" steel plate.
You know what they say.. Speed kills..
Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 AM

I've run similar tests trying to shoot different guns through different things and the high speed .22 bore wins pretty easily. The reason makes sense when you think about it. You have all the energy concentrated on such a small spot that it just cuts right through. I will say I think the bit about blowing a hen's egg sized hole is BS. What you get is a .224 diameter hole that looks dang near like someone took a drill bit to it.

Any notion a 220 Swift won't go through an empty beer can is laughable...unless my brother's 220 Swift was defective and didn't know any better. Truth was there wasn't much that swift wouldn't go through. A chunk of wood would give it more trouble than steel.

Quick Reply: Let's discuss Bullet Penetration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.