Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle scopes....What do you guys think?

Old 02-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle scopes....What do you guys think?

Can't go wrong with the GOLD RING!!! JMHO

Danville Va.LAST CAPITAL OF THE CONFEDERACY
Old 02-06-2003, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pentax Lightseeker 3X-9X-43. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2003, 07:08 AM

I recently purchased a Swift Premier 3-9x40 and really like it. Swift is a little known company that makes fine optics. They are held in very high regard in birding circles, and birders are often very picky. I have personally used Swift binos for the past 10 years without incident. So far, I am very pleased with the scope. They, too, have a lifetime waranty and the Premier goes for around $150 depending on the store. HOpe this helps.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:25 AM

Alright fellas....my buddy has convinced me to spend more $$. Dang him. lol I have about $1600 in my bow and everything dealing with that, he said why go half-a**ed with this. What do you guys think about the Vari-X III 3.5x10 with the illuminated duplex?? I think I have all of the particulars right.

And also just a side note.....I am putting this scope on my 30-06, Remington model 700. Would you guys go with a scope and still use the iron sights(which I believe my gun has) or no iron sights and just the scope??

I appreciate all your help.

"There's nothing better than being out in the woods".
Old 02-07-2003, 07:26 AM

Oh I forgot....I would probably still stick with the 50mm size. Thanks

Old 02-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 3.5 X 10 X 50 VariX III on my 7 Mag.wouldn't have it any other way.Mount the scope as close to the barrel as you can.

Danville Va.LAST CAPITAL OF THE CONFEDERACY
Old 02-07-2003, 08:34 AM

Swamp....is there any worry about your lenses fogging up?? I don't know much about scopes, but one reason for using the irons sights would be for that reason(I think). And also having a deer under 50 yards or so. If you have a deer at 40-50 and under, do you pull up and see all brown?? Once again, I don't know much about them, so all info is great. Thanks

Old 02-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your choice of Varix III 3.5 x 10 x 50, is an excellent one. I wouldn't go with the illuminated duplex, one more thing to die or go wrong and really no need for it. (It also looks ugly and adds weight) I have only 50 mm oblective scopes on my guns and believe me if you can't see...IT AIN'T LEGAL!!! Lose the irons and mount it on the medium posts, this will keep it reletively close to your barrel and eye positioning should be ok. If you find you have to lift your head to see and rifle is not tucked comfortably, go with a 40 mm. Seeing you haven't had much scope experience, I think this is critical. Make sure that scope is in the right place and you don't have to adjust to its position. Basically you should be able to close your eyes and shoulder your weapon to the shooting position, when you open your eyes that scope should be bang on. Buy leupold dovetail mounts and your set.

As far as fogging, I always carry a eye glass cloth in a ziploc, just in case. You can put flip up scope covers for rain, if you desire. 100% frank, never had a problem and I hunt in below zero weather all the time. The key is climitize the optic to the conditions to reduce fogging or haze. (ie: don't drive around in hot truck and then plan to jump out and see well in cold temps.) Also if walking and you sweat or heat up, make sure to keep the lens away from your body to ensure your heat is not transfered and it may create a small window of haze.

Quick Reply: Rifle scopes....What do you guys think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.