Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun 9mm .357sig .40 .45

Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Handgun 9mm .357sig .40 .45

ive been thinking about getting a Automatic handgun to play around with for a long time now ...

H&K
SIG
Glock
Springfield GI

I really like Springfield...theyhave a factory30 minutes from my home.

i dont know what Size of holes that i want to put into stuff....
help....im leaning torward the.45 cartridge...
Old 02-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Spike

Default RE: Handgun 9mm .357sig .40 .45

If you want to shoot frequently, 9mm is clearly the way to go (unless you drop to a .22lr pistol) due to cost. If carrying it for defensive purposes is a consideration, all of those calibers are decent for personal defense when loaded with "modern" hollow point ammunition. It will ultimately come down to personal preference.

In terms of caliber, although they differ sightly in energy and maybe not so slightly in diameter, they all ultimately make similar sized holes give or take a little depending on ammunition choice, composition of the target and so forth. You hear caliber arguments all the time, but with modern ammunition choices, as far as your target is concerned, it's a moot point. Well placed shots mean a lot more in the caliber war than energy.

Make sure you take the time to send some rounds downrange with all the models you're considering, back to back if you can, to make sure you get a good feel of how they differ.

Personally I chose a Springfield "loaded" 1911 in .45ACP, and a SIG P226 stainless 9mm. I carry the 1911 because I'm more confident with it. I've owned that longer than the SIG, although if I put more rounds downrange with the SIG I could build up my confidence enough with that to be comfortable carrying it as well.

Edited to add the following:

If you do get a 1911 platform pistol, keep in mind that a few companies out there make a .22LR conversion kit for it, so you can practice with it very inexpensively instead of having to fling expensive .45acp downrange all the time. The only thing you can't practice for that way is recoil, but you're still practicing using the manual safety, get to use the same grip, and so forth. Just a thought.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cost is the only thing that makes me not want the .45
40$ for 50 rounds of .45 acp
15$ for 50 rounds of 9mm

obviously its cheaper if you buy 500 at a time or more...
but why is there such a difference in the price between the two sizes

i dont want to feel like im shooting a toy but i want to beable to shoot a hundred rounds a couple times a month without diggin too deep....

im trying to talk myself into the 9mm but i always wanted a .45 auto.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:41 AM

I dont knwo where your getting ammo at but for practice rounds im getting 9mm for $10 and 45 ACP for $20. Yea its still a big differece in price. Ive herd alot of horror storys of the 9mm in Iraq so i dont carry mine very much nemore. I know they shoot FMJ ammo there but i dont understand how someone can get hitin the chest with 12 9mm FMJ rounds and keep going.So iwent out and got a Para Ordnance Warthog in 45 ACP and use my 9mm for practice. Also the 40 S&W is a great self defence round. Recoils like a 9mm and knock down power similar to a 45 ACP. I had one but it got stolen so that gonna be my next pistol.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive seen the price in .45 ammo very greatly depending on type. either way the .45 cost at least2x as much to shoot as the 9mm
Old 02-03-2008, 12:20 PM

Alpha, years ago when I qualified for my CC permit I borrowed a friend's 40cal full-sizedGlock. It was one of the most comfortable semi autos I have ever shot. It was also extremely accurate at 5, 10 & 15 yards. In my opinion, this would be one of the better choices for a concealed carryand / or fun to shootsemi auto pistol.Although, I have always favored the revolver over the semi.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

45 ammo costs twice as much as 9mmbecause there is twice as much lead, more powder, more brass, andthey are twice as heavy given the same number of cartridges so transportation cost more.

Like was said above any of the ones listed will be more than effective against a criminal provided you use proper ammo intended for such purposes. Keep in mind that you need to be familar with what ever you handgun youchoose so if the cost of ammo will keep you from shooting it often thenI strongly suggest the 9mm just for the simple reason that you will practice more and be far moreproficient with it. Flinging a bunch of big and heavy lead down range doesn't do you a bit of good if you couldn't hit the barn walls if you were standing inside the barn.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:12 PM

If this is going to be a plinker, go with the 9mm. It is a much lighter load, cheap ammo, and more importantly . . . far less hand fatigue after 100+ rounds into paper.

However, if this is going to be a multi-use gun . . .plinking, self-defense, conceal, everybody-in-the-house-should-know-how-to-use-it gun . . . then I'd lean towards the .40S&W from Springfield. The XD models are very nice! Becoming very popular with law inforcement. (Though you'll never overtake the Glock). The round is easily handled by small hands (spouse, daughter, etc) and still has plenty of knock-down if needed.
I got my wife one for mothers day last year, and I don't get to shoot it! She is a non-shooter and still wants to make sure and bring it on camping trips and agreed to attend a handgun class with me. So it has all the multi-use gun specs in IMO.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

45 ammo costs twice as much as 9mmbecause there is twice as much lead, more powder, more brass, andthey are twice as heavy given the same number of cartridges so transportation cost more.
Raw materials dont cost that much tho....once you have the machines and a Labor force the cost of raw material isnt much, what you say makes sence....i guess its only fair, that if it costs twice as much to make on their end it should cost close twice as much to buy on our end.

.....i dont plan on using this gun for C.C thats a big
NOin Illinois and not worth the trouble...

But versatility is still important to me....

amount of practice isnt really an issue once im familliar with a Gun, shooting accurately is something ive always picked up quickly/Natural.
other guys seem to have to work alot more at it, and then there are others that never get it.

i dont know what it is but ive always been good at shooting.

when i do go shooting i like to make a day of it....ill check out some .40 cal
i havent shot one....are they reliable...thats one of my reasons for liking the .45
Old 02-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I recently bought a .45 after kicking myself for selling my old one. I picked up some Federal American Eagle ammo for $14 a box mostly for the brass. But this stuff shoots as good as my handloads and hits the same POI.

Quick Reply: Handgun 9mm .357sig .40 .45

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.