Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cheap vs. Expensive?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cheap vs. Expensive?

ORIGINAL: trailer

ORIGINAL: DM

I also would much rather have one high end gun that several average ones...
I agree with you 100% but the question would be what cartridge, that’s the challenge...[8D]
No challenge at all. 9.3x62mm

It recoils like a 30-06 and can be loaded to do the job of a 30-06 or 375 H&H.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cheap vs. Expensive?

IF I see a gun or a cartridge I would like to fool with, I'll either firgure out a way to get my hands on it, or convince myself I can live without it, one or the other. Price has no bearing on this at all, although most of the things that really interest me are usually NOT inexpensive! My on-hand inventory of firearms is usually around thirty or so, but one day not too long ago, I sat down and made a list of all the guns I could remember having owned since about 1953. The list came to around 175, including handguns & muzzleloaders, though the next day I remembered a couple I had forgotten to put on the list.

I have very few that are so meaningful that they would never be considered for sale or trde for something else that I get interested in from time to time, because after I learn all I can about a gun or cartridge, a new one takes its place. OTOH, some just never get my attention. For example, I'd much rather wring out a nice 6.5X54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer or a .416 Rigby than any of the new "short fat magnums" packaged in the rifles that are being turned out today using all the cheap shortcuts the factories can thing of to speed up and remove human craftsmanshipfrom their production lines....