Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

do we need semi-auto rifles

Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do we need semi-auto rifles

Yes. Next question.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

"do we realy need semi-auto rifles for HUNTING big game ...i got rid of mine and now only use bolt-action .. [one shot ,one kill]"

Well, Heinz57, good for you. Now please let the rest of us own, shoot and hunt with whatever gun we want to use.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started out with a semi auto 270, it was my fathers, I've come to love a bolt action, I've got to say though, I love all actions/guns, and do we really need semi autos? I say yes! Guns don't kill people, people do. And bolt actions for dangerous game......they say how slow the bolt action is.....in fact one of the slowest to cycle around, though highly reliable, even though a semi aut would be faster, you don't see them used on adangerous game, though alot of pros like a double rifle for that fast follow up, I saw a guy shoot a brown bear, not a great shot and immediatly placed another great shot in him, that 2nd shot did him in, had he been using a bolt that bear would have been in some dense brush wounded, and you can't always count on your guide for his backup shot. So I say YES! we need semi autos, as we need full autos, cmon tell me what guy doesn't love to just shoot?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

I personally don't need a semi-auto to hunt with and love my model 70. All of us in our group do not hunt with a chambered round.. Too many close calls and as my buddy says, "there's nothing safe about a safety".. If anybody hunted with a semi in our group I would hope that out of courtesy to our safety standards, they would not have a round chambered and ready to go.. But I don't have a problem with semis, I just prefer a bolt.

But as far as gun control goes, the big problem is the gun industry, not governments or gun control. Guns stick around for a long, long time, generations in fact, yet the manufacturers need to keep producing and move their stock. Where does this stock go? Well manufacturers claim they don't know and do not claim any responsability for their guns getting into illegal hands. Which is a lame excuse and they are turning a blind eye. Every other company in the Western Hemisphere practically tracks their products to their market and end users and know who is doing what with their widget.. Marketing needs this info as does the Warrenty department.

If gun manufacturers showed some responsability and only sold appropriate volumes (to satisfy us, law abiting citizens) we would not need gun control laws or governement intervention. And probably most of the gun industry would collapse too..
Old 02-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

O.K. How about a different view that I will probally get flamed for.YES we'uns down here in the south need the semi's because we sometimes dog hunt .Soooo that means we are sometimes taking that god forbidding running shot at game.I can have 3 or 4 follow up shots without doing anthing but keeping my eye on the game and pulling the trigger.with the bolt or single I will lose valuable time on a shot.LET THE FLAMING COMMENCE...............
Old 02-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't even go there. This is the same argument that got Jim Zumbo in trouble. We all need to be proactive in protecting our gun rights, all our rights. Personally, I'm always checking the bills in congress and writing letters to my senators and reps.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you only chamber one round then every rifle is a single shot. The ridiculous singling out of semi automatic firearms is nothing but a misinformed governmnt looking to make it look like they are fighting the ever increasing gang wars up here in Toronto, Canada. You can make all guns ilegal and that will never reduce gun crimes as criminals don't respect laws, society or themselves. Its far easier to target law abiding citizens. Handguns have been severly restricted up here for over 30 years and are very expensive and time consuming to aquire legally after extensive courses, background checks , yet they are the weapon of choice for gang warfare. Semi's have their place as do single shots.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 AM
DM

My father thinks we do... it's the only style of gun he ever got use to, since he bought a model 08 Rem. in 35 Remington... Then he moved to a Rem. model 742 in 30-06 ect...

Dad's been harvesting deer with semi auto's for more years than you've been alive! Here he is with a buck he shot with my 742 a few years ago,

I dare you to try to takehis semi autofrom him... lol lol

The 28th of this month he will be 95 and don't even think about taking any gun he has away from him!

DM
Old 02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 28th of this month he will be 95 and don't even think about taking any gun he has away from him!
I hope I make it to my 70's that is great to hear he is still doing it at his age
Old 02-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I don't need one. I just have never liked them. To me they are just not a nice to look at as a bolt action.. Same with Auto and O/U.. Just don't have the same appeal to me..

Quick Reply: do we need semi-auto rifles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.