Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ar15 for long distance

Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ar15 for long distance

yes i did a .223 i did not shoot it father then 100 yards at the time
I wont a good long range rifle out to 600 or so for target and hunting
i would like a semi auto so i figured why not a ar
ORIGINAL: Rammer

I thought you used to own an AR15, if you in fact did, why are you asking how far you can shoot one effectively?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i do not wont to go out and shoot as fast as i can at 600 or 1000 yards it wont be to good with groups
I just wont something to target and hunt with and i would like to have the easy of loading that comes with a AR
and the less recoil that comes with a AR
I am thinking a 308 cal or a 300 or some thing around there
I will not be doing comp. with it just rec. shooting
ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

big get an 8 twist AR if ya want a semi, it'll do ya proud at 600 and carry on out to 1k if ya want.
but if ya wanna shoot this thing semi then I'll tell ya a fast twist bolt rifle will outperform it due to limited mag length in the AR. I know prairie dogs have been taken beyound 1100 yards with the lowly 223.
RR
Old 01-31-2008, 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Briman

The ARMY marksmanship team shoots an event called SERVICE RIFLE.
[b]Service rifle[/b] is shot at 200 yards standing, 300 yards sitting and prone rapid fire, and 600 yards slow fire prone.

A young lady won the 1000 meter shoot with a standard M16 in 5.56 Cal. It can be done with practice and patience.
Practice, patience, and equipment. She might have won an event at that range against other M-16s, but not against other rifles. The AR-15 pretty much rules the 600 yard line because of the advancement of VLD bullets and extra hot handloads- without both, the rifle wouldn't even be competitive against a M1 Garand at 600 yards due to wind deflection. Shooting a 1000 yards, a standard M-16/AR-15 just doesn't cut it- you need extra inches of barrel (usually 24" barrels) to get every last bit of velocity along with the hot VLD handloads mentioned above- but once again it can outshoot other heavily modified 'service rifles' if set up correctly.

Briman
You might want to check your information on the Military competition. This information is right off the Army Public Affairs web page. Pretty much everything you said had NO BASIS of fact.

http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=5179

Shooting her M-16A2, Spc. Liana Bombardier, a U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit service rifle shooter, won the Service Rifle National Long Range Rifle Championship at Camp Perry, Ohio. Bombardier garnered the Billy C. Atkins Trophy as the highest scoring service rifle shooter in the National Highpower Rifle Long Range Championships Aug. 15 - 18.

The 21-year-old soldier is the first woman in the 100-year history of the matches to win the trophy awarded to the service rifle (now a M-1, M-14 or M-16) shooter with the highest aggregate score over the entire championships.

"The Atkins Trophy is a hard trophy to win and I was thrilled to find out I had won it," Bombardier said. "I was behind by 5 points going into the last day of competition. I shot well that last day and came up ahead. I never thought I was going to win it."

Bombardier also fired her M-16A2 in matches at 600, 800, 900 and 1,000 yards, and won the Service Rifle Category in the Palma Individual Trophy Match and the High Master Category in the Porter Trophy Match. She also won the Annie Oakley Trophy for being the best female shooter in this year's Interservice Championships at Quantico, Va.

Though the AR-15 is not the IDEAL long range target Rifle, it can be shot to 1000 yds, ACCURATELY in the hands of the right person, or people. Trigger work is going to be a must, as is surely some other gunsmithing, but nothing that you can't do, or get done if you want. SOME of this work can be as simple as buying the right upper receiver from a reputable company, and there are several drop in triggers, or self install triggers that would fit the bill nicely. I would not suggest it for hunting at long range for anything other than varmints as mentioned earlier.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The ARMY marksmanship team shoots an event called SERVICE RIFLE.
If you had a clue, you'd know the difference between LONG RANGE Service Rifle and Service Rifle.
Service Rifle is very popular, where Long Range Service Rifle is not mainly due to the contraint of there not being many 1000 yard ranges.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Briman

The AR-15 pretty much rules the 600 yard line because of the advancement of VLD bullets and extra hot handloads- without both, the rifle wouldn't even be competitive against a M1 Garand at 600 yards due to wind deflection.
This is one time that I'll have to respectfully disagree with you Briman.You'll only have to go as far as Paris Island, South Carolina to see that the recruits don't need "VLD" bullets and "extra hot handloads" to hit their target from 600 yards away. We still use the ol' 55 grain FMJ.

Do I believe that the AR-15/M-16 is inherently more accurate than the M1Garand or the M14? Absolutely. There's a reason that the "wooden guns" are getting scarce on the line and the "black guns" arein more shooters hands.It's much easier to keep them shooting good.

Having said that, I still shoot the ol' M1A Supermatch for NRA highpower. I have an AR with a Compass Lake upper that'll shoot a gnat off a plate of grits in a heavy fog @ 100 yards, but the wooden gun is just more fun to shoot and if I do my part it'll hang with every AR on the line. Plus, it gets more looks on the line than the other "black guns". I've never heard someone come up to an AR shooter and say, "Hey, that's a nice looking rifle ya got there."
Old 01-31-2008, 08:56 AM

damn briman, really reaching there on the technicalities of the name aren't you. Almost everything you said in your original post ( outside of the real name) were found and shown to be untrue. m-16 not for 1000 YDS, NOT SHOT WITH OTHER RIFLE CLASSES, CAN'T COMPETE WITH THE M1.........
I THINK, IN THIS CASE, I DID HAVE A CLUE. If you read the original question, it was something along the lines of can an M-16 / AR-15 be used for long range target or hunting. SO outside of the name of the competition, YES IT CAN BE, as has been shown. So go ahead and piss back at me just because you're knowledge came up short on this topic. OOOOH, i called the competition the wrong name, it was still shot with an M-16 in 5.56 at 1000 yds, just as I had said it could be.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:25 AM

bigtim,
all other converstations here aside, if you are interested in a good bolt gun, for less, then i suggest looking at the Rem 700. I used to have the 700 PSS in .308. Sure, there are other choices, and better choices for longer hunting range than .308, but it is effective for most hunting that most people will do. I like it as well since it is a common round, and fairly easy to find. It isn't as expensive as some of the other calibers that might shot further either. I was handloading for mine for about $8 a box, and buying bulk from Blackhills, I paid about 14 a box on match 168 grain moly coat. The Rem 700 PSS is exceptionally close to the M-24 shot by US Army Snipers, and is also one of the most common Sniper Rifles for Swat teams in the Country. Accuracy can be tough to beat. I took mine to a prairie dog town in SD a few years back and took a few dogs at a little over 700 meters. Now minute of prairie dog at 700 meters can be minute of dead other animal at 500 without too much problem and the right bullet / load combo.
I would also suggest looking at the FN Rifles. They have a line called the SPR ( or something like that. I don't want to get flamed again here for not having it just right ) I have shot small ragged little holes at 100 meters with one of these as well. A little more $$ than the Rem, but a hell of a nice rifle none the less.
Whatever you go with, you need to make sure that you put good glass on it. I had spent around 350 or so and put a Nikon Buckmaster 4 x 14.5 power on mine. I would stack it up against the Leupold any day of the week. I think i can say that since I have a Luepold MK 4 on my .338 Lapua, and wish I had never bought it. The nikon will be more than adequate. There are others too, so check around, and don't necessarily get caught up in the big name brands.

It is generally accepted that the Bolt guns will be more accurate than the Semi auto rifles. Though with today's technology, there are Semi's out there that will shoot every bit as accurate as 99% of shooters will ever shoot with a bolt gun. I mentioned the Armalite AR-10 for a reason. I do know guys from Sniper School in the Army that have shot this with great success at several international competitions. You have to figure that he has access to pretty much anything that the army has in our Sniper arsonal, and he chooses to shoot a SEMI-AUTO. that has to say something about the accuracy.

That takes me back to caliber again. I talked about the 5.56 in earlier post and shooting 1000 yds with it. I showed it can be shot at that range, and also that it is not the best choice, but it can be done. I think it was RR or rammer that made the point that it would not be a great long range HUNTING choice though (sorry if i list the wrong source here) The .308 is a good choice, and as stated is also affordable. The .300 calibers are even further shooting, though will cost more.

Hopefully, this give you some answer to your original questions.

Good Luck, and let us know what you go with.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

It does help alot
i wont something 7.62 or bigger since it will be used for hunting.
just not sure of what cal to use
ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

bigtim,
all other converstations here aside, if you are interested in a good bolt gun, for less, then i suggest looking at the Rem 700. I used to have the 700 PSS in .308. Sure, there are other choices, and better choices for longer hunting range than .308, but it is effective for most hunting that most people will do. I like it as well since it is a common round, and fairly easy to find. It isn't as expensive as some of the other calibers that might shot further either. I was handloading for mine for about $8 a box, and buying bulk from Blackhills, I paid about 14 a box on match 168 grain moly coat. The Rem 700 PSS is exceptionally close to the M-24 shot by US Army Snipers, and is also one of the most common Sniper Rifles for Swat teams in the Country. Accuracy can be tough to beat. I took mine to a prairie dog town in SD a few years back and took a few dogs at a little over 700 meters. Now minute of prairie dog at 700 meters can be minute of dead other animal at 500 without too much problem and the right bullet / load combo.
I would also suggest looking at the FN Rifles. They have a line called the SPR ( or something like that. I don't want to get flamed again here for not having it just right ) I have shot small ragged little holes at 100 meters with one of these as well. A little more $$ than the Rem, but a hell of a nice rifle none the less.
Whatever you go with, you need to make sure that you put good glass on it. I had spent around 350 or so and put a Nikon Buckmaster 4 x 14.5 power on mine. I would stack it up against the Leupold any day of the week. I think i can say that since I have a Luepold MK 4 on my .338 Lapua, and wish I had never bought it. The nikon will be more than adequate. There are others too, so check around, and don't necessarily get caught up in the big name brands.

It is generally accepted that the Bolt guns will be more accurate than the Semi auto rifles. Though with today's technology, there are Semi's out there that will shoot every bit as accurate as 99% of shooters will ever shoot with a bolt gun. I mentioned the Armalite AR-10 for a reason. I do know guys from Sniper School in the Army that have shot this with great success at several international competitions. You have to figure that he has access to pretty much anything that the army has in our Sniper arsonal, and he chooses to shoot a SEMI-AUTO. that has to say something about the accuracy.

That takes me back to caliber again. I talked about the 5.56 in earlier post and shooting 1000 yds with it. I showed it can be shot at that range, and also that it is not the best choice, but it can be done. I think it was RR or rammer that made the point that it would not be a great long range HUNTING choice though (sorry if i list the wrong source here) The .308 is a good choice, and as stated is also affordable. The .300 calibers are even further shooting, though will cost more.

Hopefully, this give you some answer to your original questions.

Good Luck, and let us know what you go with.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:06 PM

7.62X38? Did you mean X39? If so I would for sure pick the 308 over the 7.62X39, especially if you were talking longer ranges. The former is basically a 30-30 round designed for semi auto rifles.

I think you need one of these in either 7mm mag or 300 win mag.

Browning BAR long track and BAR Safari.

Paul
Old 01-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

I would also look at the DPMS (Panther Arms) 300RSUM for long range target and hunting, aversatile round that can be loaded from 125gr@ 3300fps up to 220gr@2600fps. That will challange any 300win mag out there at 1000yds!, and you have it in an AR package!.

Quick Reply: ar15 for long distance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.