Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

semi auto or rev.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: semi auto or rev.

I am surprised no one has suggested the Contender in 22 Hornet?? What happened to overkill?? Tom.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya i had a high point 9mm a few years back
it was junk kicked worst then the ruger 9mm i had
and it jam 10 times out of a box of 100 rounds
i took it back to the dealer and told him it was junk and he gave me a credit toward a better gun
ORIGINAL: glockman55

For the most part a Revolver is fool proof, but semi-auto's are IMO a good choice for a CCW. Sure you hear that some say they jam, but you get what you pay for. I've seen some $100. auto's out there that are junk, and a few cheap revolvers as well. What ever you get for your carry gun spend the money on a good one. I like my Glock, but that's the gun I can shoot in my sleep, in a matter of speaking. Practice is the key to any hand gun. and don't get talked into a .22 cal for a self defence gun. That is just crazy!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:29 PM

What I would want and what would be proper for someone is two completely different things.

I think the important thing is how well the gun fits you and your needs, and how well you can shoot it. Like the others said I think you would be better off with a .22 magnum if it was the only gun you could truly shoot well.

Now, I prefer a single action semi auto, like a colt or a browning. I am pretty partial to the Browning High Power myself. I don't care for double action or DA only semi autos, just a personal thing is all.

I also like 9mm. Not saying one is better than the other or anything like that, I just shoot them well. I would take a .380 in a pinch as well. I owned a really nice Walther .380 for a while and have shot some nice compact colt .380's. I like a medium frame gun with a decent size barrel though.

I'm a small guy, so I like smaller guns with a thin profile. The 92F is huge for me, as are some 40's and 45's. My Hi Power was a bit thick until I swapped out grips.

I'm not a big fan of the polymer guns either, but I would take a Glock if someone wanted to give me one.

Paul
Old 01-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Revolver; for the simple fact that you take all your evidence with you.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Good point
ORIGINAL: mcawful

Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya i have thought about that
i have seen casing bags for ars wonder if they make one for semi auto pistols
ORIGINAL: mcawful

Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM

My carry weapon is currently a 9mm Glock 26. It is easy to conceal and my wife isn't afraid to shoot the 9mm, so she can carry it when I'm not around. My next new carry pistol is going to be a SA Ruger in .41 mag. I decided I want a more powerful weapon, and I want one safer to carry.

Often when you need your weapon, things may have already devolved into rolling around in the dirt. Trying to draw and fire in that situation is a problem to say the least. You want a weapon that will function up against your body or snagged in clothing and you want one that will buy you some time if it gets away from you. A bad guy gets his hand on your gun and the first thing he's going to do is try pulling the trigger. With an automatic or a DA revolver, that gun is going to fire. Most thugs don't know what a SA wheelgun is, so you get a couple of seconds there to remedy the situation, without catching a bullet.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:21 PM

without a doubt, a revolver. They will never fail you, they are a one piece gun, in most cases...pull the trigger and it fires. I'd go 38 special snubby.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

My carry weapon is currently a 9mm Glock 26. It is easy to conceal and my wife isn't afraid to shoot the 9mm, so she can carry it when I'm not around. My next new carry pistol is going to be a SA Ruger in .41 mag. I decided I want a more powerful weapon, and I want one safer to carry.

Often when you need your weapon, things may have already devolved into rolling around in the dirt. Trying to draw and fire in that situation is a problem to say the least. You want a weapon that will function up against your body or snagged in clothing and you want one that will buy you some time if it gets away from you. A bad guy gets his hand on your gun and the first thing he's going to do is try pulling the trigger. With an automatic or a DA revolver, that gun is going to fire. Most thugs don't know what a SA wheelgun is, so you get a couple of seconds there to remedy the situation, without catching a bullet.
Just get a revolver with an internal hammer..
Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like a revlover less chance of malfunction. Good luck.

Quick Reply: semi auto or rev.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.