Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

breaking in new rifle

Old 01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: breaking in new rifle

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: savagescout

All rifles are different some take longer than others, some shoot awesome right from the getgo.I would not give up on a new rifle untill you have 150-200 rds though it.
Whether or not a rifle has to be "broken in", and if so, HOW, is a big question. A lot depends on the barrel, what you plan to use the rifle for, and what your accuracy standards are. For example, for most hunting rifles (deer & larger) I am satisfied with 5-shot groups of 1.25" or smaller. If I can get such performance from a rifl right out of the box with the ammo I am going to use in it (handloads,of course), I will clean it and that's that!

For a varmint rifle, I want 0.5 MOA with the correct ammo. If the rifle will not shoot that well, I will attempt to find out why, and fix it. This fix may or may not include some arcane ritual performed on the barrel. Shooting & cleaning, shooting & cleaning, etc., may work. So might urinating down the barrel at midnight on the full phase of a blue moon, to drive out the evil spirits! This works especially well with flintlocks-Jaegers,Long Rifles and Hawkens..........

Actually, when a rifle fails to group well, 99 times out of 100, the problem stems from poor bedding of the stock & barreled action somewhere............. NOT from how it was or was not "broken in"!
I cant figure why some people would ridicule another for wanting to do something the correct way!, urinating down the barrel! come on now! If one feels an inch and a quarter group is ok thats fine, I wouldnt want to take a shot at 500yds. with it,but some strive for sub-moa dont knock them for trying. Most custom barrel makers highly recomend proper break-in for opptimum accuracy, by the way, your 99 out of 100 is wrong!, groups are affected mostly from poor triggers, muzzle crowns and wood stocks that come into contact unevenly on the barrel and of course ammo!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

"If one feels an inch and a quarter group is ok thats fine, I wouldnt want to take a shot at 500yds."

I've taken lots of successful shots at 500 yards with a rifle that shot no better than 1.25 inch, five shot groups. Retired USMC Major Jim Land says that Carlos Hathcock's sniper rifle was about a 2 moa gun and that the barrel had small pits.Well, Hathcock did pretty well with that rifle.

"and wood stocks that come into contact unevenly on the barrel"

That's called bedding and that was covered.

Every time i read this kind of thread i am reminded of the used Remington 700 in .22/250 that i bought with a shot out barrel. Had a Hart barrel put on it. That barrel never shot better than 1.25." The gunsmith sent that barrel back andput aDouglas premium barrelon it: That one shot worse than the Hart. Sent it to Remington to be re-barreled: Instant .5 moa gun. Had the gun re-chambered for .22 Cheeta and it is still a .5 moa gun.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: falcon

"If one feels an inch and a quarter group is ok thats fine, I wouldnt want to take a shot at 500yds."

I've taken lots of shots at 500 yards with a rifle that shot no better than 1.25 inch groups. Retired USMC Major Jim Land says that Carlos Hathcock's sniper rifle was about a 2 moa gun and that the barrel had small pits.Well, Hathcock did pretty well with that rifle.

"and wood stocks that come into contact unevenly on the barrel"

That's called bedding and that was covered.
Well, bedding is accually done at the action, we want good contact there,were the stock makes contact with the barrel, thats called free-floating, to releive the presures once the barrel starts heating up and changing the point of aim. As far as Carlos Hathcocks rifle, I cant say any different, it might have been 2"moa, I know it would take a hell of a lot to be able to take some of the shots he has taken with a rifle like that. And if you can do it to! my hats off to you!!! But then agan, were talking about one shot one kill with Carlos, thats a cold bore shot,the subject at hand is grouping! and like I said, there is nothing wrong with being content with an 1&1/4" group, some prefer better!