Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how do you carry ammo

Old 01-19-2008, 12:28 AM

Default RE: how do you carry ammo

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

Like this:

Ditto
Old 01-19-2008, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jdreddish

Geez, you guys carry alot of ammo.
I load my internal magazine (4 rounds) then close the bolt on an empty chamber until I arrive at my location. If I can't get it done w/ 4 rounds then I don't deserve to be in the woods.
beware of the hunter that carries a single shot he knows how to use it...i carry 2 magazine [3 bullets in each .300wsm ] when u spend some time on the range u wont need more [practice makes perfect]
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM

Magazine + cartridge box in a backpack.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:30 AM

If that's all I have I dont care to venture out with just on shot in a rifle. However I always believe in being prepared in the event of perhaps bear or coyotes on the way out. I carry 7 in my .35 Marlin and another 7 in my pack and I usually carry my Vaquero .357 w/ only the shells in the cylinder.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

How do you all carry your ammo in the woods , on stalks or just plain walking to your blind.
I get the hee-bee-jeebees putting cartridges in my pockets, scared they will go off. I know the likelyhood is almost impossible.Is anyone else scared to put ammo in there pockets ?
Unless you are carrying fuzed, high-explosive warheads in your pocket, there's NO WAY any of them are going to go off! To prove this, just take a couple of rounds of your rifle ammo and toss them way up into the air over a concrete slab so they come down 50 yards away on the concrete. This will show you just how shockproof modern ammo loaded with smokeless powder actually is.....
Old 01-19-2008, 11:42 AM

When I take the single shot, I keep extra carts in my vest pocket, it has elastic slots for holding ammo. When I use anything else, I just load what the mag will hold and go with that. I just try to keep 'er simple.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

I carry 5 in the 870, and five in my pocket. I have need the extras once. I made a good shot on a deer that dropped but got up and ran to cover, I shot 3 more times and just put a hole in its ear. A second deer ran by just then and I spined it. That's 5 shots in 3 seconds or so. I was empty. I reloaded and missed the cripple's neck from 40 once and used another round to finish it. I had only 3 left when I went into the brush after the first deer but it was dead just a few feet in. As I said, the first shot was well placed.

I don't think 5 is enough when I have multiple tags, or when party hunting (perfectly legal during the Iowa shotgun seasons).

Bob

Old 01-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

...and generally, even fuzed, HE rounds are "spin-armed", meaning that they don't fully activate until the round has made a set number of complete revolutions. Features like that prevent over-eager GIs from blowing doors off houses during MOUT with their M203, thus committing suicide by being well within the bursting radius of their own 40mm HE grenades.

Don't believe what you saw in the movie.....
Old 01-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine are in a soft folding wallet of such that are held separate so they don’t touch to make any noise when I’m walking...
Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 PM

one in the chamber ONE SHOT ONE KILL

usmc.

Quick Reply: how do you carry ammo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.