Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 trigger

Old 01-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default Remington 700 trigger

I tired to look this up, but had no luck. I have a remington 700 in .30-06. I am wondering how many pounds the factorytrigger pull is on it. I looked and could find no definate answer. I am looking at a coupledifferent aftermarket triggers. any suggestions would be great!
thanks
-Jake
Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Remington 700 trigger

I have heard that they're a minimum of 7-8 lbs from the factory. I had mine adjusted via an Ebay trigger-job gunsmith (no longer listed). Took it down to about 2-3 lbs and was a huge difference in accuracy as a result. The new Remington X-Mark Pro trigger is awesome as well. I have one and really like it. Breaks easy & light.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 PM
jch

Mine felt like about 8 lbs. I put in a timney and now it break at about 3 lbs, real sweet trigger. Easy to install, I did it myself in about 30 minutes ( my first experience with a trigger replacement).
Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

alright thanks! I know it is pretty heavy, I can shoot pretty well with it. But A lighter trigger would be much better.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gunsmith at Gander Mountain told me theyare any where from 6-9 pounds. the trigger on a 700 is adjustable. I had mine set at 3.5 pounds (good for hunting)and he took all the creep out of it and it is a very nice trigger now. You canalso adjustit yourself.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:35 AM

My gunsmith told me that it is factory policy to ship them minimum of 7lbs, even though it can be adjusted lower. The factory will not accept liablity though for anything less than 3lbs, so some gunsmiths will not lighten it below that. You have the option of replacing it with another, though there is no need. Remington makes one of the best factory tiggers on the market, and they can be adjusted to break light and clean. I would look into a $30 trigger job before shelling out the money for a new one. Just a thought.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with kdvollmer. Remington makes one of the best triggers on any factory weapon. The trigger comes pre-set at 7+ lbs due to liability issues. Do a search on the net and you will find many sites that have detailed instructions on how to adjust it. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, bring it to a decent smith and for about $30 he can easily remove all creep and overtravel and have your trigger breaking at a clean 3 lbs in about 10 minutes. If you decide to do it yourself, make sure to follow any and all safety tests to ensure that your gun will not accidentally discharge. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tired to look this up, but had no luck. I have a remington 700 in .30-06. I am wondering how many pounds the factorytrigger pull is on it. I looked and could find no definate answer. I am looking at a coupledifferent aftermarket triggers. any suggestions would be great!
thanks

First of all the factory trigger can easily be adjusted to a 3lb pull without any hassle. The factory triggers on the last 2 I have purchased have been in the 4 1/2 -5 lb range. Yes they were measured on the latest greatest RCBS pull gauge. They had the overtravel and sear set about perfect so all I had to do was turn out the weight screw to 3 lbs. Timney trigger is no better or worse then the factory trigger. They go bad as well and I have sent one back this year for a weatherby vanguard which didn't have the internal parts hardened correctly. Call Brownells and ask them the return rate on the them. If I were going to buy the best trigger for a Remington it would be a Jewell and next a Rifle Basix or X mark pro trigger. For 98% of use the regular factory trigger is good enough.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RemingtonTriggers.asp

That link is a pretty good guide to adjusting your own Remmy trigger.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM

As far as the Remington factory trigger being OK, that would depend on what year said Remington was made. At one time they had one of the worst (and most dangerous) triggers on the market. If your 700 is new, the trigger should be fine, but if it was made back in the '70s, (or prior to 1975)a replacement would be a good thing. Look up the "walker fire control system".

Quick Reply: Remington 700 trigger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.