Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 02-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barrel painting

Good question. Let's see what kind of response you will get.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:18 PM

Hey, I have a second Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag 12 gauge shotgun barrel that my wife did for me in a camoflage pattern. It looks excellent. My part was to first get all of the residue of any oil off the barrel,(good mineral spirtis will do) and then lightly (600 grit) sand the entire barrell even under the vent rib. Take your time it can be done. Now my wifes part. She does air brushing, and first sprayed the entire barrel with exterior primer from a car paint shop. Then I sand again. Until real smooth. Then she mixed her camo colors, and air brush a real nice pattern on it. Looks good and you would swear it came from a factory. Hope this helps. Been using it about a year and a half and it is still perfect. The trick in all good painting is the foundation, it must be real clean, and have a real good primer on it. Hope this helps.
Joe
Old 02-02-2003, 09:16 PM

Swampchopper's right. There is nothing wrong with it if that's what you want to do. Just make sure you take the time and do it right. Any paint job is only as good as your base. Also be sure to use a paint that can withstand high temperatures. You don't want the paint doing wierd things after several shots. If you decide to do it, let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:14 AM

I would like to add, that dont go buy the little cans of spray paint at your after market parts stores, I really dont think that would hold up, but that is only my opinion. My wife is a airbrush pro hobbyists, and we get our paint from real auto paint strores such as DuPont etc. But our base primer is a serious high temp industrial prime and oh yeah, only oil base.
I use my shotgun for all different types of hunting and down here in south Louisana, the weather can get very ugly in a heart beat, so your paint has to be tough. Tougher than your hunting.
Just remember to have avery clean start, and no matter what kind of pattern you paint on it, it is going to hold up. My wife is not a professional expert, but she did good on matching the factory stock camo pattern. She mixes colors and starts doing her thing. Me,I am just the laborer on the job, you know, preparing the surface for her to paint. Hope all of this helps, and happy hunting. Of course you can always go another route and buy the camo tape from Cabelas or something like that. Let me know how your gun turns out.
Joe
Old 02-03-2003, 04:00 PM

Oh yeah! I forgot about the camo tape. It works great. I use it on my guns(don't see how I could forget about something I use so often). Be sure to read the package and get the one that does not leave a residue(I think it's Knight and Hale). It won't leave any residue on any part of your gun. I leave mine on all season and it just comes right off without a trace at the end of the season. It stays on til you take it off. Only bad thing about it is it can leave a sticky feeling to your hands so I just use it on the barrel. You might try it to see how you like the look of your gun being painted.