Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm Rem. Mag. - Managed Recoil Ammo ???

Old 01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Managed Recoil Ammo

Is the Limbsaver the same as the R3? Sounds like that will be my best option.

One and the same
Old 01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried some of the managed recoil in the 270 goofing around and they will definitely stomp a deer. Recoil is very easy....even with the 7 mag the managed recoil and the limb saver/r3 would be a sweet rig. For the record I dont like the 7mag recoil either.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was seriously thinking about getting the managed recoil shells for my older Remington model 742 automatic 30-06.Like Ipscshooter I went to a Browning .243 A-Bolt HunterRifle because of the recoil and flinching I was getting from my 30-06.I have done really great and haven't lost a Deer yet with my .243 Rifle but it would be nice totake the 30-06 automatic on a hunt in case I would need a quick follow up shot or if there's a really BIG Buck where I'm hunting?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

In terms of pads I find the Sims/R3 does the best job at taming the recoildue to the rubber compound used( word: Cushy).The Pachmayr Decelis more durable and doesn't hang up as much on fleece type materials when shouldering (because of the material used. Both are great products and reduce felt recoil noticably.

BTW you should be able to find a pre-fit Sims pad that will for your BDL, just go to: http://www.limbsaver.com/Products/Firearms/Cross_reference.aspx. Find and print off the templates for the BDL Wood Stock version then compare them to your rifle (make sure to uncheck "fit to page" prior to printing so the template remains actual size!).

I reload and have never tried downloading the 7mm rem mag..sorry can't help with that part.

The mind is very powerful and can make things tougher then they need to be. You needto get over the fearof shooting this rifle. Add a recoil pad and give the managed recoil ammo a go to start things off. After that who knows :< )!

Good Luck

Old 01-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for all the comments, guys. This is the time of year to get things done at the gunsmith, so, I think I'll take it in and have an R3/Limbsaver installed.

Skeeter: You're absolutely right about psychology and the mind having a powerful effect. One of the lessons we tried to take from our martial arts classes, particularly applicable to breaking boards and bricks. For some reason, I could never convince myself that I could do a reverse punch through 2 1X12" pine boards. Bloodied my knuckles on them, but couldn't break them simply because I "knew" I couldn't... But, no problem with doing a hammer fist through a 2" brick. Go figure. I'll work my way up... 140 gr. Managed Recoil, 140 gr. Magnums, maybe if I can get through a box of 160 gr. Magnums without flinching, I'll treat myself to an elk hunt...
Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a crazy idea. take that rifle to the gunsmith, take the barrel off of it, carve out the barrel channel a little bit, and rebarrel it with a heavy barrel 260 Remington. Low recoil, great long range rifle for deer and varmints. Oh I think I just had a QUIMMEE. Tom.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7mm Rem. Mag. - Managed Recoil Ammo ???

ipscshooter; That's a great idea as far as using the Remington low recoilrounds. In addition you should also install a limbsaver recoil pad. After you get comfortable with the low recoil ammo, you probably jump up to standard loads. I did the same thing on a .30-06.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll work my way up... 140 gr. Managed Recoil, 140 gr. Magnums, maybe if I can get through a box of 160 gr. Magnums without flinching, I'll treat myself to an elk hunt...
You don't need a 160gr bullet to hunt elk or moose.The 140gr tsx works fine.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

My BDL now has a Limbsaver recoil pad. I took it to the gunsmith, and he tried to sell me one of the Limbsaver "grind to fit" pads.... For $105... I noticed that they had the Limbsaver prefit pads on the rack and bought it for $30.

Tomorrow, it's off to another store to pick up some Managed Recoil ammo.

HEAD0001: What's a QUIMMEE?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should do good with that Libsaver. My brother had one put on his 338 W.M. and I found a big difference in recoil. Good luck and hopefully you can use that rifle this fall...

Quick Reply: 7mm Rem. Mag. - Managed Recoil Ammo ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.