Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tang Sight For H&R Buff Clasic

Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 PM

Default Tang Sight For H&R Buff Clasic

I am looking to install a tang sight on my H&R Buffalo Classic in .45/70...as you know this rifle has no tang...has anyone out there done this and if so which sight did you use and how did you mount it? I have DP globe windage front sight w/ level already in the rifle.
Thanks for any and all help

Old 01-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tang Sight For H&R Buff Clasic

Can't tell you about the tang sight for that rifle ,But I checcked it out on the H&R website.That thing is nice.Might have to see about getting me one of those.Much less than a "Quigly".LOL BTW welcome to the board .There are a bunch of guy's here with almost unlimited information. Wish I was one of them.And thanks for the big font for use old farts.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 PM

No Prob on the font size!!! I have had my BC for 5 years or so...love it...like you said "cheep" and works very well...and for $100 more you can have them spin a tube in .38-55WCF and have the best of both worlds..I would have done that but I have a Marlin 336 Cowboy in .38-55 with a Marbles mid range tang sight and love it!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
FA
Fork Horn

The "Buffalo" is a great rifle for sure, almost bought one myself. You maybe able to buy an elevator sight which is almost the same thing but it will mount on the barrel about where your dovetail would be if you had one. You will probably have to have it drilled and tapped for a sight.
http://www.gun-parts.com/sights/

Try this webite and you can also try

www.midwayusa.com
www.brownells.com
I think, anyway you go you will have to have some gunsmithing work done.
Goodluck, thats a fine rifle.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:00 PM

Thanks FA...Good websight...I already changed the stock williams peep sight for a nice smithsflip up laddersight...only problem is I installed a glob w/ a alevel and stupid me didnt think and forgot that with a sight 4 to 5 inches from the eye you cant see the level...just the post!...I felt sooooo stupid...so a tang is the way I need to go...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:16 PM
FA
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: philb1732

Thanks FA...Good websight...I already changed the stock williams peep sight for a nice smithsflip up laddersight...only problem is I installed a glob w/ a alevel and stupid me didnt think and forgot that with a sight 4 to 5 inches from the eye you cant see the level...just the post!...I felt sooooo stupid...so a tang is the way I need to go...
I'm not sure you really need the level, do ya? Are the holes for the Williams drilled on top of reciever or on the side, I'm not really sure. And can you use a tang site?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 PM

Do I need a level? most likely notbut I wanted one!..and put it on w/o really thinking...There are ways of mounting a tang sight to this rifle...one way is to inlet a mounting plate into the wrist of the stock or just inleting the stock for the base of the sight...the best way is to actually weld a tang onto the reciever but thats the most expensive way of doing it...thtat why I posetd this thread to get idezs...The barrel is drilled and taped over the chamber for the stock williams peep sight but that sight is not Sass legal...thats why I put the Smiths full buckhorn sight w/ flip up ladder...then I changed the way too high glob front sight for a lower windage adjustible sight w/ a level...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
FA
Fork Horn

OK, now I understand. That will be one dandy rifle when you gether done. Sure would like to see a picture of it when it's done.
Goodluck
Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(2yzqkajavpmgxyvizunjed45))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=167&styleId =770&partNum=RS-CREED-3-WE
I was thinking installing the above on my 38-55 target model.I would first use a 1/4 plate drilled and taped then inlet-ted it to the wrist of the stock and glass-bed then would attach the ladder sight with the base screws to the plate.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:18 PM

Well...I got the barel back witht he new sight and I was very happy to see that I could see the level through the Smiths ladder sight!!!...sooo I am not all that fires up to spend any money that might be better spent on loading componants!...will test it all out and let you know how it is...I will also take some pics and figure out how to post if any of you are intrested...

Phil

Quick Reply: Tang Sight For H&R Buff Clasic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.