Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gee I am really shocked with this news

Old 01-05-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gee I am really shocked with this news

Model 700 safeties don't exactly have a stellar safety record.
People who point loaded rifles at eachother don't have stellar records either.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't say it better than PAHunter86. We can blame the rifle all we want, but it's the person behind it that points it at things that aren't safe to shoot.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

http://www.remington.com/safety/model_710_notice/ They need to send their owners a rebate check for 300 dollars and be done with this mess
NO 710 I've ever seen could pass an inspection............
Old 01-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ding ding ding we have a winner

any time i hand some one agun or hand one my self i check recheck and check again to make sure it is unload.
2I never point a gun at anything i do not wont to kill and up to now that has not been a person.
A gun should never be handled loaded unless at a range or in the woods.
Thinking thethe safety on nothing can happen is what gets people killed even if it is not defective.
I was showing my uncle my new 500 and i keep it on my wall and with a lock on it but i noticed the safety was off so iput it in the safe position.?Buti also keep it unloaded. And to date i have never fired a gun without wonting to
ORIGINAL: PAhunter86

If people always keep their rifles pointed in a safe direction, it shouldn't matter. Finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

Never rely on a safety.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:34 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Okay, so let's say you are perfect --- the muzzle wasn't pointed at a person, but you flip the safety off and the rifle goes off (the 700 accident pattern per the lawsuits)....

-- How impressed are you going to be with your rifle in the midst of your surprise? Are your excuses going to hold up?

--How impressed are your hunting partners going to be with you, regardless whether the bullet flew off into the sky(muzzleblast to their ears)or into the dirt (putting mud onto their jacket)

-- What are you going to think when your guide takes you back to camp and puts you on the first planeback homebecause he considers you unsafe?

How well will your simplistic excuses fly then?

IMHO.... poorly! Of course, you can always refer any of the above back to this thread so you can show them how right you are. Not likely to hold water though.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Wasn't the 700's safety issue corrected years ago?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

If people always keep their rifles pointed in a safe direction, it shouldn't matter. Finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

Never rely on a safety.
Basic common sense but they are mechanically more apt to AD then any other comparable trigger. It's a closed box where dirt accumulates bottom line. They have to be routinely taken out and sprayed and re-sprayed per the 700 owner manual. The new trigger should solve their problem but if you don't keep after a 700's trigger maintenance....
Old 01-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wasn't the 700's safety issue corrected years ago?

YOu mean the lawsuits were settled a few years back. As for the fix it was simple ..they didn't allow the bolt handle to lock anymore in the rear position. Some evidently can tolerate this but I won't have it or deal with it anymore.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was not making excuses for Remington's lack of good rifles i doubt i will ever buy one hearing that. You get what you pay for well hopefully.

If i had a gun that might even do that it would make a one way trip back to the manufacture
If i was with someone that that happen to doubt i would hunt with them again.
I did have a similar thing happen. Me and my dad was at a range and he was loading the 3030 and racked a round to load the 7th round and hit the trigger blow the end off our case it was sitting on . and i was two feet to the right and one back . i thought i was going to piss my self

Again you get what you pay for buy something cheap and it might just kill you .
ORIGINAL: EKM

Okay, so let's say you are perfect --- the muzzle wasn't pointed at a person, but you flip the safety off and the rifle goes off (the 700 accident pattern per the lawsuits)....

-- How impressed are you going to be with your rifle in the midst of your surprise? Are your excuses going to hold up?

--How impressed are your hunting partners going to be with you, regardless whether the bullet flew off into the sky(muzzleblast to their ears)or into the dirt (putting mud onto their jacket)

-- What are you going to think when your guide takes you back to camp and puts you on the first planeback homebecause he considers you unsafe?

How well will your simplistic excuses fly then?

IMHO.... poorly! Of course, you can always refer any of the above back to this thread so you can show them how right you are. Not likely to hold water though.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

It seems to that Remington has let the quality go by the way side to remain competetive I have handeled and shot several new Remington rifles in the last 2-3 years I am not impressed at all I have several older Remington's mostly BDL varmints and I wouldnt trade them for anything but I think I will pass on the new ones just my opinion chad

Quick Reply: Gee I am really shocked with this news

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.