Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scout Scope Mount

Old 01-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scout Scope Mount

Hey guys,

Just picked up my Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. It is the SS model.

I'm considering going with a cantilever (sp) (forward mount) scope with long eye relief.

I'd like to hear from some folks that have such a set up. Preferably on a lever action. I wouldn't mind hearing some field stories and how it helped/hurt.

Also are there issues with putting your rifle in the display case because of where the scope mounts? Any issues with sling carry? What about even less significant stuff like when you lean your rifle into a corner at hunting camp?

Any and all advice is appreciated since I already have another standard scope to put on this gun but I like the concept and would like to maybe go that route.

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Forward Scope Mount

http://www.xssights.com/
Old 01-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Big Bulls.

I'm looking for some folks with some first hand experience. I want to know if I should even go that route.

Anybody know of a good lever action forum?

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

After doing a little bit of searching using the link Big Bulls provided I found that what I'm looking for is a scout mount. Does anyone have any experience with that moutn position.

Here is a link.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0012852224749a.shtml

Tom

Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

After doing a little bit of searching using the link Big Bulls provided I found that what I'm looking for is a scout mount. Does anyone have any experience with that moutn position.

Here is a link.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0012852224749a.shtml

Tom

I put a couple of intermediate eye relief scopes on Mausers, mounting them at the rear sight position which placed them about 1/3rd of the way to the muzzle. I found that the only advantage was not having to alter the bolt handle or any other part of the rifle. However, such a location changes the balance of the rifle, making it extremely clumsy, unwieldy and awkward. A friend has one of the Steyr Scout rifles, and it is a much different proposition - it has a very light, short barrel which shifts the weight to the rear, puts the balance point between your hands, and renders the whole package much easier to handle.

I think a lever action with a full-length magazine full of heavy cartridges and a scope up forward will not balance as well as that Steyr Scout. If the rifle had a shorter magazine tube, it might be OK.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Point Eldequello. Makes a lot of sense with those heavy 45-70 rounds. Hmmm might have to rethink this whole thing. Wish I could try before I buy sort of thing.

Does anyone know of a good lever action forum?

Tom
Old 01-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scout Scope Mount

I bet Col Jeff Copper's laffin in his grave as he sold the world on the 'scout rifle' forward scope mount bs just months before he died. That foreward scope stuff is all hokey and after a short while you'll hate it.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
FA
Fork Horn

I have an 1895G and use a scout system on mine. I use XS mount with XS Ghost ring set up along with Leupold QR rings and a 2.5 Leupold Scout scope. I really have nothing negative to say about this set-up. I have taken from grizzly to whitetails with it. The rifle was initially purchased for a grizzly hunt and thats why I decieded to go with the scout set-up. The low power scope allows me to handle critters out to 150 yards and if they get close enough, I can still focus on them. Another advantage is you can shoot with both eyes open to get on your target faster. If you need to remove the scope to use the ghost ring, when you reinstall your scope it will be practically dead nuts. There is no sling issues and will fit in a carry case or gun rack without any problems. Actually, I like it so well, I'm thinking of doing the same thing on one of my 336's. As Silvertip stated, "after a short while you'll hate it". I'm not sure what to hate about this set-up, but to each his own. Just one tip, use a good scope on it. Stay away from lower end scopes.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys. I'd really like to hear from some other folks that have this set up.

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM

My first question would be why? This is a side eject with a solid top receiver drilled and tapped for conventional scope mounts. Why not use them? I just don't understand why you would want to go with a forward mounted scope when you could use a conventional mounting location. It would be different if you were forced to, but you are not. Just pick a quality scope with generous eye relief (3.5-4 inches or so) and use good mounts.

I have never done the scout mount thing, but I have used forward mounted and long eye relief scopes before. Mostly on handguns and air rifles, but I did mount a scope like this on an old military rifle once.

The two biggest downfalls will be finding a scope and mounting combination that will give you the proper eye relief and a good sight picture and proper shooting form. Long eye relief scopes are sort of critical in this area and variables are even worse because the eye relief will change as the power changes. You may have to try different scopes and mounts in order to get it right. This is not something I would try to do over the internet. At least I wouldn't.

And secondly, when you do find a good combination long eye relief scopes are more difficult to line up on target and get a good sight picture from. You know how when you bring your gun up and if it isn't right half or part of your sight picture is blacked out in the scope, and you need to re adjust your head position to get it right. Well I have found this is even more critical with a long eye relief scope. And the higher the power the harder it gets. In most cases you will be best served with a fixed 2 or 4X scope instead of a higher powered variable. Even better yet would be a red dot or halo type of sight.

My opinions and nothing more, I have never hunted with this type of set up. Mostly target shooting and plinking.

Good luck,
Paul

Quick Reply: Scout Scope Mount

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.