Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scout Scope Mount

Old 01-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scout Scope Mount

Paul,

My intention was to go with a fixed power scope. Most likely 4x. I'm mostly going to use this as a stalking gun and for some of my blinds that have relatively short range shots. Under 100 yards.

I'm intrigued by this set up since I believe it would allow faster target acquisition and followup shots. This of course is simply my view not fact since I've never shot a setup like this before.

In addition it's different and I'm just generally interested. If I can find enough information that makes me feel comfortable about trying the set upI'd give it a whirl. Right now with what I've got I'm still in that 50/50 mode. On the fence.

Tom
Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found this.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/scout_scopes.htm

That might be enough for me. I know lots of folks don't like Chuck Hawks around here but I don't mind him to much. Definetly old school but I find old school is rarely wrong.

Tom
Old 01-04-2008, 12:58 PM

I read the article and agree hole heartedly with it which is why I was wondering why you wanted to go that route. That is pretty much what I was trying to explain to you, he just did a better job of it I guess.

I can see it as an option if you don't have a choice, like if don't have a stable place to mount the optics, or the action keeps you from doing so. However in your position you can use a standard mount which in my opinion is a better way to go about it.

Like he said in the article, you can still shoot with both eyes open with a closer mounted scope as long as the power is low enough. I do it all the time with powers under 6X. And having it closer will actually make it easier to line up quickly than having it out in front, at least in my opinion.

Just seems like a lot of fuss and muss and probably more expense for something you simply don't need. I would think you could get better standard mounts and a more quality standard scope for less money. Long eye relief scopes and mounts are a niche market and you will pay for it most likely.

Paul
Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul,

I wasn't downing your contribution to this post. After you posted I had the sneaking suspicion that would be the way this ended up. So don't for one second think that I don't appreciate the time.

As for my wishes. I wish I had money to burn then I'd just go buy it figure out that it doesn't work for myself. I have come to understand that I really enjoy learning things the hard way. LOL.

Tom
Old 01-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I just found my signature.

Tom
Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Been there done that.

I didn't feel jilted in the least, so no need to feel bad about anything. Simply stated my opinion is all. I'm glad it got backed up actually.

Paul