Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

any ar15 shooters?

Old 01-29-2003, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default any ar15 shooters?

my dad is building me one and were thinking of building more of a competition rifle instead of an assult rifle being im 15 i dont need an assult rifle and i like shooting and im rather good at it and i can see myself getting into competition shooting..just weve never thought we could buy one of the rifles..but reading shotgun news we seen 2 they had an article on ar15s and how much you can do with them from tactical machines to regular tack drivers that most bolt guns cant hang with...shooting .30 inch groups average at 100yds with factory ammo..and the price was only like 2-3k for them....we can build them alot cheaper we proved that twice..and i really dont need all that fancy crap until i really go big if i ever do so it will fall just a bit more than a nicely set up ar would cost us...any good sights you know of about competion shooting with ar15s or any catalogs with parts for my use or anything you think might help me i will be interested...thanx alot
Old 01-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: any ar15 shooters?

The amount of accessories for AR-15's available these days is almost mind boggling. I would say, stick with a Gov't A2 style lower receiver assembly, buttstock, pistol grip, etc. The upper receiver can be change out in seconds to a totally new configuration, like from Gov't A2 to varmint, from varmint to NRA Match, NRA Match to tactical, etc, just by switch out upper receiver assemblies. Smith Enterprise has a good national match sights for AR-15's. Just about any of the major AR-15 manufactures has a complete list of sights, barrels, forearms, buttstocks, triggers, etc. availabe.

You can search and check on various web sites like Bushmasters, DPMS, Olympic Arms, Rock River Arms, Armalite, etc. and get more detailed info.

Old 01-30-2003, 06:34 PM

..for just a lot of data on AR's.. go to ar15.com .... it's a good site... lots of good stuff there. I would recommend you going with at least a 20" barrel, free floated handguard, etc.. I think the Jewell trigger is considered one of the best. The bull barrels are nice, but they sure add a lot of weight to the rifle... if you are intending to shoot really long range, then go with a fast twist barrel, 1-7 or so, to enable you to shoot the long bullets...

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 01-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx i will check them manufacturers out...all i really need to decide on is sights and things like that my dad will take care of the reciever stuff i really dont know jack about them...and i seen a competiton fat bottomed pistol grip with finger groves which i think id be steadier with...i found a jewled trigger to put in it...so a forarm barrel and sights i should be one my way...i will talk to my dad tomarow about it and tell him im interested in target shooting and finding local shoots and maybe when im real real good i will move on and that i think it will be a good investment because i love shooting..it really wont cost to much more from what we were building me...a real shortie with a collapsable stock and all..but i realyl dont need a tactical machine yet..id like a tack driver and i think id like to get into competiton shooting...i watched one on tv the other day and it looked fun win or loose....anyone else have some sights or anyhting?? also should i put in a good titanium firing pin or would the standard one be fine for my uses?? nothing big yet mainly just a target gun right now...thanx