Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun scope size

Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Spike

Default RE: shotgun scope size

thanx for the info guys they were xmas presents i was gonna keep the 3x9x40 for my mzl and return the 3x9x50 and get a good shotgun scope i was just gonna check and see cause my biggest worry was like you said the scope hitting me in the eye thanx again. oh and any you guys ever heard of leapers under the gun scopes looks like a good one to me but ive never heard of them
Old 12-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

The Nikon 2x7 32mm is a great scope. A buddy has one and I have shot his gun. Nice... Also worth a look is the Leupod 2x7 33mm shotgun scope. A touch more eye relief and a few bucks cheaper. It has a heavy duplex reticle which I like for picking the crosshairs up quickly in heavy cover but some think it blocks the target somewhat. I also like the 32mm or 33mm objective. The 20's are just too small effectively preventing some light transmission.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

xi32, There is nothing wrong with using a variable scope with higher magnification. Just keep in mind that some of the lower end variables will show different points of impact at different mag settings (test it yourself to see if it is worth worrying about in your gun), and that at higher mags, you will have lower light transmission for dusk/dawn shots, and may lose some field of view, and your exit pupil will get smaller limiting your eye relief.

It'll work fine, as long as the scope is rugged enough to deal with 12g slug recoil.

When using a variable for hunting, I suggest either keeping it at a single setting that can work across your entire range of expected shooting distances, or (if your POI does not vary) keep the mag turned down for close shots. You will have time to turn it back up for a longer shot. You just don't want to have a buck step out from behind a tree at 20 yards and all you can see in the scope is brown fur because it was set at 9x.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 AM
FA
Fork Horn

I use a Leupold 2-7x33 on my 12 ga. It's a nice compact scope with the ability for close or longer shots.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 AM

Like some people has already said, you put a shotgun scope on a shotgun.

First off you have to look at the construction of the scope. A shotgun has a different type of recoil than a rifle and so the internals are built different for a shotgun scope - compared to a rifle scope.

Second off is the fact that a rifle scope is usually made to be shot at 100 yards and beyond. The parrellax is designed into the scope for it to be shot that way.

An average shot with a shotgun is 50 yards or less. So a shotgun scope is designed to be used that way. Not at 100 yards and beyond.

So looking at rifle scopes to put on any shotgun is a waste of time.

However,
A muzzleloader scope will work on a shotgun - I am told and will do a good job for what you intend to use it for. They don't make 50 mm muzzleloader scopes - as far as I know.

Go to a real gunshop that has a knowledgeable staff that can help you choose the right scope for the job. Make sure that the scope has a lifetime warranty - so if there is a problem, you can get it fixed and it won't have to come out of your pocket a second time.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Spike

well i looked at the sluggster by nikon and the prostaff really like both of them ill probably go with the prostaff cause its half the price ofthe sluggster thanx again