Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

carrying more then one weapon

Old 12-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: carrying more then one weapon

In Michigan you can carry a sidearm while deer hunting with firearm, but I don't think you can legally be in possession of ANY type of firearm while bow hunting during the bow season. It is legal to bow hunt during the firearms season though, and as such I don't know if you could carry both weapons (gun and bow) or not.
I've never considered it to tell you the truth.
For the Turkey/deer season overlap I can see wanting to keep some slugs either in the pocket or in the pipe, depending on ones first choice of quarry.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:30 PM

The way I read your post is you are not trying to carry a pistol or gun during an archery only season. Just if both weapons are legal for that month, can you take them both?

The answer in MI is most likely yes, but it may depend on a few things and you would have to read the regs closely or call the DNR to ask what they think. Like in MI there are some other seasons open during season, like pheasant and small game. I'm not sure if you could carry a .22 long rifle and a slug gun at the same time. And like you stated carrying a shotgun for turkey and a ML for deer if they were both in season. You might be able to, and you might not. There may be some law where you can only hunt for one or the other because if you had both weapons you may be shooting the wrong the animal with wrong weapon. There is no way for the DNR to know this other than to trust you or see you do it first hand. So the easiest thing to do is to limit what you can carry at one time. You are either small game hunting, or deer hunting.

A really good example would be here you can shoot varmints pretty much all year, like woodchucks and the such. I live in an area where you cannot hunt deer with a high powered rifle, but you can varmint hunt with them. However there is no way I would take both a ML or slug gun AND a .243 to a deer blind with me and try telling the DNR I was shooting deer with the shotgun, and woodchucks with the .243. He is probably going to believe me about as far as he can throw me.

I could However take a smooth bore slug gun and a modern inline muzzle loader with me and shoot deer and woodchucks with either. Since both are legal in both seasons.

What you are proposing isn't all that stupid, especially if you where hunting out of a blind in a camp type situation. I have done it to be honest. I took a smooth bore shotgun and my inline and kept both in the blind with me. I was going to use the inline if a longer shot presented it's self and use the shotgun for close fast stuff or while walking to and from my blind. I just left my inline in the blind and carried my shotgun back and forth from day to day, or if I left for lunch. That way if I jumped something while walking I could shoot it.

To be honest though if you carry two rifles more than a couple times you probably won't want to do it anymore. It is sort of a pain. And I certainly wouldn't want to do it in a tree stand.

And in MI you can use a bow, cross bow or handgun during gun season so you could take both if you wanted to. The only catch is our muzzle loading season is muzzle loader ONLY, you can't take a different type of weapon with you. So to answer your question 8mm, yes you can take a bow and a gun during gun season. I know people that do it.

And in MI you can carry a pistol during archery season if you have a concealed carry permit, but you can't use it to hunt with.

Your state may be different though.

Paul
Old 12-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes paul i would only carry both if there both in season like a ml and a smooth bore so if i see a turkey or jst wont to take a deer with the shotgun
i also would not wont to make a habbit of it i carry enough stuff with me