Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good handgun???

Old 02-14-2003, 12:10 PM

Default RE: Good handgun???

.357 is a good versitile round to go with. You can pick one up at a pawn shop if you are worried about cost. Check your rules and regulations for the area that you are hunting in to see if you can carry it while bowhunting. In most areas, all you can carry is a .22 loaded with rat shot.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Stay away from the Taurus 607, 7-shot .357 Mag. I thought I had to have one, learned the hard way. If you use any ammo above 38+P, the cylinder binds the cartridge head between the cylinder face and the receiver in the area around the firing pin opening. This is a result of the case swelling and gets pushed backwards. To eject the spent shells you almost need a deadblow hammer!

Gun Test published the same problem just months after I found out, wish I would have waited.

Old 02-14-2003, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Bigcountry, You' ll love that Glock Model 27.It conceals well and is light enough that you won' t dread carrying it.I' ve had that same guns for about 7 years now and love it.I have Trijicon Night Sights on mine.I hope Maryland get' s it together with CCW permits.

Mr. D , I' m with most everybody else. A good protection round is the 357 mag.There are so many different makes and models out there. Check some guns shops for used police revolvers.They have been well maintained and most departments have up graded to semi auto' s.I' ve seen allot of S&W' s, Ruger' s and some Colt' s that were police sidearms, waiting to find a new home.Some examples are the S&W M-19 M-66,M-13 or the Ruger Security Six, Police Service Six or Speed Six......Some of the Ruger ' s were available in 9MM.
Ruger Redhawk