Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Kimber Montana Question

Old 12-14-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Kimber Montana Question

Any kimber Montana owners out there? On paper, I love this rifle. It’s the perfect mountain rifle: lightweight, ss/s, hidden mag, easy to handle (from inside a store). However, I really hate the stock. It seems a bit awkward, and very slick, like it may fly out of your hands in the heat of battle. Especially w/ gloves and in a snow storm.

So my question, are you happy with it? I am wanting a 270 WSM for ‘lopes and sheep. My current go-to is a Sako 75 Finnlight 300WSM which I will carry to my grave, If Sako would offer a hinged floor plate I would look into that, but there is something about a kimber that I cant get out of my blood, plus I need a new gun.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kimber Montana Question

I too love my Kimber 84M. It's not, however, a Montana. The stock turned me off completely, plus I dislike blind magazines. My wooden stocked version has very nice wood, hinged floor plate and shoots well. I topped it with a 3-9 Swaro AV. It a great mix. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Kimber Montana Question

Any kimber Montana owners out there? On paper, I love this rifle. It’s the perfect mountain rifle: lightweight, ss/s, hidden mag, easy to handle (from inside a store). However, I really hate the stock. It seems a bit awkward, and very slick, like it may fly out of your hands in the heat of battle. Especially w/ gloves and in a snow storm.

It is too light for my tastes by about 1/2 lb..the stock has too much flex in the foreend for a supposedly lightweight stock and it has no provision for a magazine or floorplate. They are also glass bedded to a master receiver and the pillar bedding is skimpy at best, your action will fall out of the stock rather easily . I have had the 84M and it had to be rebuilt by Kimber when the stock warped, the bolt was almost impossible to smooth up even though I tried to work the action while watching TV nor would it feed 7mm-08 cartridges correctly . In 2 weeks time a new stock , Floorplate(allen screws) and a bolt shroud later it was as it ought to have left the factory in the first place. . Afriend has a Montana in 300 wsm and it is much nicer build then my 84m but has some disadvantages as I outlined previously. The 300 wsm has a pretty fierce recoil in his rifle and he is mentioning muzzle brake since he has developed a pretty good flinch. I don't think I'll touch a kimber again , they have quality control problems. I can look at 6 montanas sitting on the rack at my local Gander mountain and all six will have a different finish on the paint ranging from smooth to sandpaper and all have different shades of Grey. COmpared to my Finnright in 300 wsm it feels like a real POS. FWIW the 8400 or 84M woodstocked guns seem to be more consistent qualitywise.