Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone shooting a patternmaster choke? Opinions Please

Old 12-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone shooting a patternmaster choke? Opinions Please

I am researching a patternmaster choke for my Bennelli Nova, for mostly ducks and geese. Are any of you guys using this choke. If so, do you reccommend the full long range choke for this type of hunting? There is also an extended range choke for 3 1/2 in. shells, but I am wondering if this is overkill since I dont shoot over 50 or 40 yds.

Is there another choke I should consider to shoot steel through?

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone shooting a patternmaster choke? Opinions Please

I bought one a few years ago for my 870, for use w/buckshot when doggin' deer. It definitely tightened up patterns, esp. w/Federal loads... but the tube cracked and I sent it back, and didn't re-order because it was so expensive.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Spike

Andrew,

I usedthe stainless Pattern Master Choke on my Remington 11/87 Autoloader with a 28 inch barrel back in the late 90's when I hunted ducks and geese with a passion. My gun shot the regular 2 3/4 -3 inch magnum steel shot shells for waterfowl. Personally anything more then that is over kill both on the birds, your ears, and hunting companions. I also noticed guys using 3 1/2 inch shells flinching a lot more also and not being able to hitmuch especially with non-gas operated autoloaders. These guns kick much more because of the mechanical action instead of gas operated like the Remington's.

I hunted with many guys at the time with up to 150 decoy's set outon the Great Lakes and Marshes that used all the new expensive shot that was coming out costing $15-25.00 for 10 shells! I was primarily using Winchester Super Steel 2 3/4 inch magnums. A box of 25 was costing about $12 bucks then not sure what it would be now and I was always the best shot in the blind. I also used Whichester Supreme WaterfowlSteel shotshells that were black just great shells that would come out of the barrel at 1450 FPS. These ran $15-20 for 25 shells. My favorite shot size was BBB and and T for Mallards, Blacks, Cans, & Giant Canadian Geese with the Pattern Master. This is what this choke was designed for, large shot.I got a nice pattern out to 60 yards and since the large pellets retain so much down range energy killed geese out to 70 yards. I had guys accuse me of using lead shotonce in awhile butafter occasinally being checked by the game wardens and they saw I only had steel on me they began asking what I was using.Funny how some people are like that. If someone is doing great at something they figure theymust be cheating.....

Anyway, my results with this $70 dollar Choke with the ported holes in it combined with a fiber optic site were nothing short ofspectacular,especiallywith larger steel shot (BB, BBB & T) It sure put the frosting on the cake so to speak. Don't go for the arument that you need smaller shot like #2's for clean kills unless your average shot is 30 yards. If you want to consistantly knock birds at 40-60 yards get the Patternmaster and some large steel shot. Less shot in a shell but the difference in Kinetic Energy is devastating and birds don't swim away usually after getting hit with this stuff. Just watch the laws in your state. Some clown was busted once hunting by us using double T's (TT) most states allow a maximum shot size of T.

Oh, one more thing. Remember to increase your lead when shooting past 40 yards by about 4-8 feet depending on the speed of the bird. Steel shot really slows down after 40 yards even the big stuff. I knocked some geese in strong winds by leading them sometimes up to 15 feet.

Good luck

Old 12-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Patternmaster in my Benelli Super 90 right now but with buckshot in the magazine. I have used mine with steel but haven't patterned it. I have patterned it with 00 buckshot, and it is an improvement over my factory flush mount chokes. I will be honest that their 100% 30" pattern at 40 yards is not true. My pattern was more like 36" at 40 yards, but my barrel is only 21". They may have tested the choke with a longer barrel.

I would recommend the choke.