Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scent control for small game

Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default scent control for small game

OK i plan to start squirrel hunting and rabbit hunting next week when i get my new Mossberg 500

i do everything i can for scent control when deer hunting

do you guys follow the same rules use scent control soap wash your clothes use scent control spray so on

also what is a good call for both rabbit and squirrel to start out with

also do you walk through the woods looking for them or just sit dow like you do hunting deer
Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: scent control for small game

Probably going to get much more information in the small game forum.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

Scent contol is one of the biggest hype and money maker for some to come down the pike in years.
Do you bathe regularly and do laundry with an unsented soap or detergent?Thatis about all that's needed. Use good judgement and common sense (both are in short supply it seems today) limit movement and you'll squirells scampering over your leg (not to mention deer 10 ft away) and birds landing on your gun barrel.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

i normal do not wash my clothes or bath in scent free soap but i will when ever i hunt i figure if i do the cloths soap and body soap and scent free detergent i would be OK i have been spending 20 to 40 dollar a month with 4 to 6 hunts a month for deer i do not wont to do that when i am moving through the woods looking for squirrels and rabbits
Old 11-29-2007, 12:42 PM

I wear the same clothes for small game as i do deer and bear. I wash my hunting clothes at the begining of the season, if they get really dirty for some reason(slip and fall in a swamp) or if its hot and i sweat really bad. Other then that i leave them outside or in a plastic tote box with some tree or bush limbs when i get done hunting. Ive had deer smelling my boot when im sitting on the ground. I have never used sent lock or any of that crap. None of that is needed if you shower regularly and dont do things to get too much odd sent on your clothes. Your clothing absorbs the sent of the trees and bushes as you walk through them. Right now if i open my hunting box my clothes smell like turkeys. I shto a turkey and put a bunch of feathers in the box as a cover sent.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats a great idea

[quote]ORIGINAL: Retaks
Right now if i open my hunting box my clothes smell like turkeys. I shto a turkey and put a bunch of feathers in the box as a cover sent.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:12 PM

I would not really concern myself with scent control. For squirrels you want to be still and quiet. They hear well and see movement pretty well.

For rabbits with a shotgun who cares, you are trying to flush them out anyway. Unless you have a dog you will be doing lots of walking and jumping on brush.

Being scent free certainly wouldn't hurt though.

Paul