Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun Scope Mounting

Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shotgun Scope Mounting

I am wanting to put a scope on my Rem 870 SPS-T with Tumbhole shotgun that I use only for turkey hunting. Here is a picture link: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_sps-t_camo_thumbhole.asp

Currently it has open sights on it. I am going to take it to a local gunsmith and have it tapped and drilled for a weaver rail so I can mount a scope on it. I have decided againts a b-square and I figured that a rail will be much cheaper than buying a cantilever barrel...that's why I am going with a rail.

I have my scope selection narrowed down to 2 low-powered scopes, but my main quesition is what rings should I buy? What is a good brand that can withstand the abuse of a shotgun blast? Also, how do I know what height rings to get? Will the open-sights that are on the gun right now be in the way of the line-of-sight between the scope and the animal? I noticed that the open sights do sit high, as seen in the pic above. Can those open sights be removed by a gunsmith if they are in the way?

I am just trying to get some helpfull information and any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Robert
Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 PM

Default RE: Shotgun Scope Mounting

I don't understand why you want a scope on a turkey only gun? Do you have that bad of eyes that you need the magnification at 40 yards or so? Sounds like an excuse to get a scope in the head to me.

All joking aside, the only real down side I see to this is the same problem with doing it to a slug gun. You are going to mount a precision aiming device on the receiver of gun that has a removable barrel. Not the most accurate set up in my opinion. Probably not a huge deal with a turkey gun, but your impact points could shift if you remove the barrel to clean the gun. Heck for that matter they may shift from shot to shot with that much recoil depending on your gun.

You also better be sure when they drill and tap for the rail that it is true to the bore, or you will have a heck of a time getting the scope adjusted.

My opinions and nothing more.

Paul
Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 PM

Oh, and it may also drop the re sale value of your gun.

Paul
Old 11-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

I have very good rail mount forsale if your are interested? $33 delivered to your door. e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 11-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerMike

I have very good rail mount forsale if your are interested? $33 delivered to your door. e-mail me at [email protected]
Right now I am just trying to gather all the information that I can and make sure that I want to go this route and get everything lined up. Can you shed any light on the thread subject though?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Are you putting scope on to shoot turkeys? if so i would go with a b square mount this will probaly better in the long run becauseyou can remove it any time.Probaly cheaper than gunsmith and mounting rail.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

Are you putting scope on to shoot turkeys? if so i would go with a b square mount this will probaly better in the long run becauseyou can remove it any time.Probaly cheaper than gunsmith and mounting rail.
A local gunsmith that most everyone uses where I live said that he would drill and tap my gun for around $40 and a weaver rail runs around $10....so total costs would be around $50 to get the gun ready to mount a scope. If I remember correctly, the b-square runs around $35 to $40...so they are pretty close in costs...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:41 AM

But the b-square will not require you to modify the gun which will not devalue it in the long run. And if you don't like it just take it back off and sell it to someone else.

Paul
Old 11-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Spike

Until you have tried some of the extended range shells available today you won't realize the benefits of a scope!I realize that the challenge of turkey hunting is trying to call them in close but sometimes those toms can be tricky.A number of turkey hunters have told me that they have bought these extended range shells and ended up disappointed.The bottom line is that they have great range as long as you have the proper choke and know where the center of your pattern will be.